Freaky truth behind the X-rays of the woman teeming with parasites from eating pork

Originally published at: Freaky truth behind the X-rays of the woman teeming with parasites from eating pork - Boing Boing

10 Likes

“We eat raw pork on the day of slaughtering the pig.”

Critical word there is WE

I hope they bring the whole village in for scans and treatment.

28 Likes

dean winchester jumping out the window GIF

22 Likes

Throwing up a little in my own mouth. There are some things in the world where you think, “oh, yeah, who would have known?” This is not one of those things.

7 Likes

the big bang theory mmorpg GIF

20 Likes

I’d try to muster an RFK Jr joke, but this story is just too sad and awful.

16 Likes

This is why you don’t eat raw pork!

Pigs are extremely omnivorous, and biologically a good match for humans. They can pick up a lot of parasites, and transmit them to humans eating raw or undercooked pork.

17 Likes

And yet - either the chance of something like this happening is very small or there is a smarter way of consuming raw pork, because Germans (and I assume other cultures) have been eating Mett for a long time now without similar incidents.

3 Likes

Eating raw pork for 13 years, and her current age is 23. She was not old enough to know better when she started. She was introduced to this practice by those old enough to know better. Poor kid.

10 Likes

And D&D always told me that creating a Worm that Walks required a powerful evil spellcaster. Lies we tell to children; apparently.

3 Likes

Good hygiene and testing the meat before it’s used for human food, I would imagine.

1 Like

If the worms were in so many locations in her body, why did it take such scans to identify them?

4 Likes

night not having it GIF

14 Likes

tumblr_lxsg6x5Pxe1r9652ro1_500

13 Likes

Can somebody explain, how would this be treated? I appreciate that a medication could be administered that kills the parasites, but that sounds like an awfully large biomass of dead worm tissue that has to be dealt with by the body. Doesn’t sound like a simple medicinal cure alone would be the right approach.

16 Likes

Can one recover from something like that? It’s easy enough to kill the parasites, but then your body is full of dead foreign tissue that causes its own problems. I assume any treatment has to be done slowly and carefully because you wouldn’t want to kill everything all at once.

6 Likes

I found an article that suggested she would be treated by ‘small amounts of insecticide.’ (shudder. And also: define ‘small.’) They expected a lot of inflammation and follow-up problems.

that sounds like an awfully large biomass of dead worm tissue

Thank you for that mental image. I hadn’t though of that part of it. Hurgck.

8 Likes

My grandfather was a farmer. He raised pigs, and part of that was deworming them, using a medicated feedstock. Watching it work was … interesting viewing. Always cook pork thoroughly.

7 Likes

Interesting. I’ve heard that feral pigs are too wormy to eat. But if domesticated ones are wormy too, … :thinking:

Oh wait, right, feral ones aren’t fed a medicated feedstock. That’s the important difference, right?

Come to think of it, why is pork wormy, but not beef?

Pigs eat things bovines won’t.

7 Likes