"Addictive Hormones" is a delicious treat from Japan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/22/addictive-hormones-yum.html

4 Likes

Yeah, but I’m making you sling the chitlins on soul food night.

8 Likes

Oh, ew. I was hoping for something wholesome, like pork rinds.

6 Likes

The subway post was great, but do we really need more “Aren’t those Japanese people weird?!” posts? I thought those went out of style a few years ago.

9 Likes

Teppo (rifle or gun) = rectum

Roger That!

1 Like

Any relation to Maximum the Hormone?

3 Likes

Hey, don’t knock cow stomach 'til you’ve tried it. I had some in China and it was great.

4 Likes

Well to be fair, the post is talking about foods, not people per se. I’m all for a worldwide series on some of the interesting foods eaten around the world - we’re not exposed to that nearly enough in the West, and some of them are pretty bloody tasty!

Expand your horizons, as they say.

13 Likes

I was living in a small town teaching English 20 years ago. A raw food restaurant opened up near me. It’s not what you think. They had chickens running around in the back. Guess what the raw food was…at least it was fresh.

I ate there once with some Japanese friends, and I was the only one who didn’t try anything raw. They all loved it and didn’t find anything odd (or unhealthy) about it.

1 Like

Teppo (rifle or gun) = rectum
Roger That!

The secret origin of the unicorn chaser revealed at last.

Now we know what the unicorn runs from.

3 Likes

Are they healthy?
porkbrainsbig

(I first came across that image years ago and have no idea if it’s real.)

3 Likes

Likely so. I’ve been offered pork brains with my scrambled eggs and grits in certain locales.

7 Likes

Knock knock.

1 Like

Really? Sounds like a load of tripe to me.

13 Likes

BEST friends.

1 Like

Hmmm… (chew, chew… chew…) Hmmmmmmmm.

1 Like

I’ve grown up with a standard western diet of pretty prepackaged meats and would appropriately gag at the “weird” meats. But after several years of an ongoing relationship with the Philippines I’m learning (slowly) to see food differently.

The first time I saw a pig get it’s throat slit on the side of the road there I was very freaked out but had to admit that I had eaten more than my share of bacon that very morning. Some pig, some place, had died so that I could overeat without a second thought at a hotel buffet. And if I am upset seeing an animal die for my food how am I better person by wasting much of what that animal gave with it’s life?

I’m still squeamish with many dishes but now instead of acting superior because I don’t eat gross things I just feel guilty for being wasteful.

Note: I was a vegetarian for 21 years but actually started eating meat again due to health issues.

4 Likes

It’s a traditional dish in rural parts of Poland, and I can confirm that it’s delicious. For some reason my city-dwelling friends get seriously grossed out about it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Would you mind also describing what those health issues were?

Personally, I don’t generally eat organ meats because

• I don’t like the taste or texture of most of them
  • pollutants are concentrated in filter organs like lungs, kidneys, and livers
  • prion diseases are concentrated in nervous tissues like eyes and brains.

But like most omnivores, I’ll eat anything if I’m hungry enough, and you can’t have a proper sausage without a proper sausage casing.

6 Likes