"Free hug man" in Times Square punches woman for not paying him

[Read the post]

1 Like

Christ, what an asshole!

23 Likes

Worse, the the punch wasn’t free either.

35 Likes

As they say, TANSTAAFH.

25 Likes

As a Canadian, this is the scariest part of the story… is she going to get a hospital bill now? What is that going to be like?

42 Likes

Maybe it was free as in speech?

13 Likes

Thank you Sir, may I have another. Maybe not…

2 Likes

Welcome to NYC

Young lady is accosted and then gets a bill for her medical expenses. Pretty much got the full treatment.

28 Likes

If I had to guess, I’d say the bill will be between US$1000-2000. Plus another $800 or so if she took an ambulance to get there.

5 Likes

Seriously? Ambulances are $45 here… and there’s talk that even that shouldn’t be out of pocket.

I hope she had travel insurance!

10 Likes

American Exceptionalism! Freedom Hugs!

20 Likes

Hugs is a wrongly imprisoned street performer. This guy is just trying to bring attention to his plight and is accepting donations for the Free Hugs legal defense.

14 Likes

Or after all that, I hope that someone at least offered her a hug.

11 Likes

Wasn’t Times Sq better when it was seedy strip clubs, XXX movies, and live sex shows?

13 Likes

18 Likes

Our system is the best though! (somehow - still trying to figure out how).

3 Likes

Does this mean she can sue for false advertising?

#america

5 Likes

My fellow Canadians, always, always, always buy traveler’s insurance before taking a trip to the States. You don’t know what medical bankruptcy is, and you don’t want to find out.

22 Likes

I have travel insurance through my union, so I’m covered, and I grew up with snowbird grandparents, I learned as a child all about $50 a piece kleenex and $100,000 hospital stays. (We knew a man who snuck his wife out of the hospital to drive her home from Florida with a broken hip!)

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure ambulances are in the $800-1200 ballpark here. I’ve only ever seen one ambulance bill, though, and it was a few years ago.

I just checked my last NYC ER bill from when we took a kid in with a bad fever, and my $1-2k estimate may have been low. The retail rate on that last bill was $3500 just for the visit, plus another $2700 in services. Our insurance’s negotiated rate was roughly half of retail, however, and since I already met my annual deductible, I only got stuck with a ~$300 out-of-pocket bill. A bargain, right? America!

8 Likes