Freezing sets, pea soup projectile vomiting, and other secrets behind William Friedkin's The Exorcist

Originally published at: Freezing sets, pea soup projectile vomiting, and other secrets behind William Friedkin's The Exorcist | Boing Boing

6 Likes

You know, I have never seen the Exorcist. I should have seen it when I was younger, as I bet it won’t have nearly the effect today as it would have 20-30 years ago.

I have seen The French Connection and was underwhelmed, though the car chase scene was pretty good.

To shoot the scene in the desecrated Dahlgren Chapel they had to recreate the interior on a set because the Georgetown University leadership couldn’t countenance the actual desecration of the chapel. Many years later I was married there. I’ve still not seen the entire movie in one sitting.

It’s really good you should check it out.

I highly recommend Sorcerer and Killer Joe too

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to see Sorcerer for years, I used to have the soundtrack LP by Tangerine Dream. But it’s one of those movies that slips your mind when someone asks “so what do you want to watch?”

1 Like

It’s a KILLER soundtrack!

1 Like

I love promoting one of his weirder films, The Ninth Configuration, which he called an unofficial sequel to The Exorcist. He claimed the astronaut in The Exorcist and the astronaut in 9th are the same character. It was one of the weird films that cemented my love for weird films. Kudos, you magnificent nutter.

1 Like

The French Connection is a fabulous film, and not just for the car chase.

Those special affects permanently injured Linda Blair and Ellen Burstyn. Let’s not lionise film directors who abuse their stars.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.