French gamers told to use French words, not English ones

A previous effort to replace “wifi” with l’access sans fil à internet failed to catch on.

They kept the spelling but changed the pronunciation to “wee fee”.

4 Likes

ASFI-- Accès Sans Fil à Internet.

rolls off the tongue just as easily.

Meanwhile, in Germany

5 Likes

A previous effort to replace “wifi” with l’access sans fil à internet failed to catch on…

So, French nationalists continue to have a problem with words beginning with the letter W?

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/rance/comments/v2erkb/à_mort_les_nglicismes_vidéoludiques/

“Jeux vidéo de compétition” parce que “Sport électronique” était déjà pris ?

Trop court. Il faut que la traduction soit la plus chiante possible à utiliser, et la plus éloignée possible du terme original.

2 Likes

Très bien, très vrai, et c’est vraiment un non-sens total.

2 Likes

“Pourriel” is such a poetic alternative to “spam”.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pourriel

7 Likes

for the ones who don’t ignore it, this is a new licence to be a dick to anglos. I grew up thinking the language police were a poetic image by Cohen, but now that I’ve had a couple run ins with the real thing - - - À la poursuite de la victoire contre l’Anglais, vous risquez l’âme de la pays. I’d tell some stories but I’m actually pretty upset. I love this province a lot.

6 Likes

I recently shredded the piece of paper nicely allowing me to send any kids I might have to an English school. That was for Bill-22. I think I already shredded the one for Bill-101. Either way, I didn’t think I needed them.

“Someday you will look back on this and laugh – in Toronto, or Winnipeg…” (From a comedy routine at the time, not a really pequist statement. It just sounds like one.)

4 Likes

I hear you. Je vous comprends bien, mon gars. I spent time there growing up and it’s a beautiful place full of warm and kind Québécois. It’s sad to see things like this happen, but hopefully it’ll unwind itself back to normal, as these things have done in the past. The Parti has done some nutty things before that didn’t stick.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.