Watch French people try to say difficult English words

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/18/watch-french-people-try-to-say.html

5 Likes

I thought that was a thoroughly tough test though.

21 Likes

I was once a TA for a Quebecois art history professor in Toronto. The word she had the most trouble with was “clog” (she was discussing a Dutch painting). She paused, asked one of the other TAs for help, and then proceeded to somehow say the word in three syllables.

18 Likes

You should have seen me explaining to my son how to pronounce les yeux, (the plural of l’oeil of course.)

10 Likes

I remember trying to teach my then girlfriend’s little sister how to say “raw” and she me “cru”. Neither of us could manage it. Happy times.

2 Likes

antEEdisestablishmentarianism!

4 Likes

Now say “truly rural” three times fast.

6 Likes

Do you sneeze in the swamp?

No. I cough through the slough, though.

7 Likes

And hiccough?

Or slough sloughs?

5 Likes

Watch French people try to say difficult English words in the most demented German dialect.

FTFY.

In fairness, I too would pronounce that “what the fuck.”

11 Likes

Would those be rough sloughs?

5 Likes

“Rural Juror”

16 Likes

FTFY++. 

12 Likes

“We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.” ~ James Davis Nicoll

29 Likes

Language has long been one of this island’s less offensive forms of cultural appropriate - heck, in the past, we’ve appropriate entire cultures; lock, stock and barrel.

4 Likes

French really is a pretty language, more musical to my ears than English. I don’t necessarily fault the French for being angry when a non-native massacres their pronunciation, and for them to grasp quirky English spelling is understandably hard.

This reminds me of the drummer in my old band – he was really a jazz guy, he could do funk, but straight-ahead 4/4 rock beats were sometimes a problem, particularly speedy hardcore stuff (which is ironically very simple.) It literally wasn’t in his musical vocabulary.

6 Likes

My French is atrocious, but those Francais I’ve had the pleasure of meeting have been indulgently patient. After all to appreciate a language is to want to share it. Obviously I’m sure there are those who don’t feel that way; anecdotes aren’t universal.

8 Likes

More likely to rough slough a plough slough…

3 Likes
8 Likes

Enough! A rough sloth with a cough, thoroughly ploughs a trough across a tough slough in the borough. :crazy_face:

5 Likes