French supermarket giant Carrefour removes Pepsi, Doritos and Quaker cereals from shelves over "unacceptable price increases"

Originally published at: French supermarket giant Carrefour removes Pepsi, Doritos and Quaker cereals from shelves over "unacceptable price increases" - Boing Boing

5 Likes

U.S. stores should do that too. $5 for a bag of potato chips, in which 80% of the content of the bag is air, is too goddam high.

5 Likes

An interesting difference in where price control is perceived-the French stores might be concerned about the costs to the customer (as opposed to the shrinking profit margin allowed by higher costs to them) where American stores are more likely to say that the customer can choose to buy or not.

5 Likes

I’ve noted both Coke and Pepsi don’t get a fuck about trying to do the cola wars anymore. Both of them are no longer selling product at cheap prices. It used to be I could count on pretty regularly getting a sale on pop. But now, even a sale is like the pre-covid regular price.

It is syrup and water, you can’t tell me costs have gone up that much. They must have raised prices when they thought they could, didn’t see a significant reduction in sales, and were like, “Well shit, this is the new price now.”

6 Likes

My local Edeka (a German grocery consortium) also will pull products and place a sign in the shelf quoting the price increase the manufacturer was demanding. I haven’t seen Lays there in over a year now, and now Pringles have disappeared as well.

It most often is US-owned brands, which might be why I rarely see this outside of the snacks aisle.

6 Likes

Meanwhile here in the U.S., those brands will likely crank up prices more so they can give you 20 flavors of the same brand taking over a single aisle and laugh in the boardroom when Fox News blames it on Joe Biden.

3 Likes

Same here is Australia. A lot of people are struggling to pay for food and yet the largest grocery chain had a 14% profit increase to $907 million, all this while prices were rising and product size/quality was shrinking.
I live in a regional area and it works out cheaper for me to drive 60km to the nearest Aldi than shop at the aforementioned large chain store just 3km away.
Corporate greed!

3 Likes

The gouging seems to be coming down where I am. My personal gauge is the price of a large store-brand box of bran flakes, which skyrocketed by almost a third. It’s now closer to the original price.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.