Shrinkflation database tracks diminishing size of food products

Originally published at: Shrinkflation database tracks diminishing size of food products | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Am I missing something here? The site seems to be mostly British candy brands, and mostly products that haven’t had any shrinkflation (yet). It seems like it’s still in the testing stage rather than an actually useful database to be consulted.

1 Like

Maltesers. You are missing Maltesers. Based on the brands it may even be Australian in origin. Hopefully the site supports internationalisation so people can populate and filter by country.

1 Like

Is this a British thing? I’ve never even seen 9% bleach.

Household bleach was 5.25-6.25% when I grew up. Actually I’m pretty sure Clorox had been 5.25% since the 1920s, though they and a bunch of others started reformulating to increase the concentration in the teens.

1 Like

It all tastes the same to me.

6 Likes

I just checked my Aldi bleach – 4.5g of sodium hypochlorite per 100ml. What does it mean? What am I supposed to do, check the grams per ml of Waitrose bleach? Calculate if it’s more concentrated per penny? I’m old enough I can’t read the ingredients on most packaging without my reading specs.

My other half has been moaning for ages about the fact that bleach “doesn’t work properly any more”, and the fact that she has tried every UK supermarket and other brand out there and they are all just as bad these days.

But apparently the strong stuff can be bought for industrial/commercial uses.

Can anyone explain just what this graphic from the product page(s) is supposed to be telling me?

1 Like

Nice idea, that site, i hope it expands rather than shrinks.

A related practice that must also have a name is that of replacing the missing food in bagged products with air. I swear, that salty snack aisle is mostly (as in over 50%) air. Mostly just, puffed up bags of mostly nothing.

3 Likes

That sounds like what the corporations making the food would say, and also rather plausible.

However, it doesn’t address the ever-growing amount of air in bags of salty things, wherein the amount of salty things sometimes now takes up less than a third of the bag’s inflated volume. What LOOKS like the usual big bag of crunchies turns out to contain fewer crunchies than the small bags used to contain.

3 Likes

Yeah, no shit.

I’m talking about a deceptively large appearance that bags increasingly have, not what’s put into the bag besides food.

But hey, do go on talking to the wall about something else.

3 Likes

Remember how The Consumerist helped to popularize the term? God I miss that site in its pre-Consumer Reports buyout heyday.

Personally I think the worst part of shrinkflation is how it screws up recipes. A recipe that called for an X oz can/bag/etc of whatever now requires one package and some portion of a second package. I’d rather them just raise the price.

5 Likes

Somebody, somewhere knows why hotdogs come in multiples of 4s and buns in 6s.

2 Likes

To get a medium sized egg to match my recipes I now need to buy a large one. Which is weird.

1 Like

On this side of the Atlantic the hot dogs usually come in fives, and the buns in eights. :person_shrugging:

FreedomFranks

Also, gotta love the mix of ounces, grams, Calories on this package

2 Likes

We get 8s and 10s for hotdogs too, but at least we don’t get them in Blue Meat or Red Meat flavour, so it works out.

3 Likes

That’s the most American thing I’ve seen this week…

Independence Day Usa GIF by Broad City

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.