Friends find abandoned 1955 VW van on a mountain and repair it onsite

I remember that. Horribly depressing.

1 Like

This was really a very nice commercial for the parts supplier, Serial Kombi. I wouldn’t be surprised if the parts were provided free, or some other creative exchange. It’s also a nice promo for the fairly new VW portal Airmapp.com, which seems to have been around since 2013 and got a site makeover in 2015 from what I can tell. I wonder how their web traffic compares to their Facebook page, or if they need a webpage at all, though I can see from their member’s map they’ve got a surprising number of users scattered all over the world.

The film is just the kind of thing I would have liked to share with my old friend Pa-Wei, with whom I travelled with to Berlin in search of a surplus VW T3 transporter years ago (we came back empty handed, but we really just went for the scenery). Pa-Wei used to drive around Toronto in an old blue Kombi bus, and while he sadly passed away last year, it’s nice to know there are still youthful generations that share a passion for such antiquated technology.

1 Like

Or alternatively, you could fake it by taking a new car, and covering it in a rust-effect vinyl wrap:

(yes, featured here a while ago).

2 Likes

Totally applies to me and my buddies too. Also, we’d have to know a lot more about motors than we do. Also, I don’t really have friends.

4 Likes

The way I remember them telling it was that the crumple zone consisted of your legs.

1 Like

2 Likes

Managed forests are weird.

No midstorey, no birds.

1 Like

That Indigenous car culture is dying, sadly. Desert ingenuity doesn’t work on a malfunctioning fuel injection computer. :confused:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.