Aerial footage of a Volkswagen diesel car graveyard in California

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/03/aerial-footage-of-a-volkswagen.html

4 Likes

Out near the Southern California Logistics Airport:
https://goo.gl/maps/qry5LamRuc22
Lotta weird stuff out there in the desert.

9 Likes

That’s the parking lot for 350,000 Snapple bottlers.

3 Likes

I wonder what rectangular building on the plot is for. And why is that airplane pointing at it?

1 Like

They are slowly shipping them to 3rd world countries, that’s what the interwebs told me.

3 Likes

So, as someone who still has one of those beasties (a 2003 version, so outside of the scandal zone), what should I do with it? On one hand, it only has 180k miles, so it’s good for another bunch of years. It doesn’t use any rare earth metals for huge amounts of batteries, but yeah, I do leave soot behind. So, what’s the best thing for the environment? I’m leaning towards trading out for a subcompact gas car for better emissions and waiting another 5-10 years for battery tech to get more efficient. (I live in the middle of the city, but my commute can’t be done easily by bike or bus, sadly.)

I can’t help but notice that’s a 3 engine jet - very inefficient.

1 Like

If you’re literally “trading” won’t the new owner be putting out the same soot?

3 Likes

Also covered in the first episode of Netflix’s Dirty Money.

Not a show to watch if you have high blood pressure issues.

5 Likes

Man, what a huge missed opportunity for pixel art.
350,000 identical cars in white, grey, black, and red.
I’m just sayin…

12 Likes

Oh dear, I bought a late 80s diesel Jetta because it was cheaper to fill up. I won’t mention those sub zero late nights after work when it would not turn over you tried until you got it up to temp just a little enough to catch.

2 Likes

I’m old enough to remember when cars came in colors other than “black, white, gray, and the other gray”.

8 Likes

My first thought was someone needs to get in there and sort those by color.

7 Likes

The money lending episode was crazy, that contract was so boogus, I can’t believe that one idiot blamed the suicide of that one guy on the government

Similar position here; mine is a 2002 Jetta wagon. I love this car. The engine is solid and just getting broken in at 183K miles. Assuming the peripherals (electrical and electronic systems, interior, that stupid front bumper spoiler that gets caught on everything…) hold up, it still has many many more fuel efficient miles left on it. The mileage is stellar. I just finished a 1300 mile road trip with it, filled up twice. Does the low fuel consumption offset the emissions? Maybe, maybe not. Anyway, I’m struggling to find something else I like enough to abandon my little oil burner.

4 Likes

Emission violators or not, they are probably a good bit cleaner than my cars, a Corvair and a '58 Chevy wagon. So do I get a gold star, or a brown star?

3 Likes

10 Likes

Yea…
Just how much worse were these than they were supposed to be?
And how much worse than other cars still on the road?
And how much ‘sunk cost’ pollution does the construction of each one represent?

4 Likes

I’d gladly do my part to relieve those junkyards of some inventory by taking one or two of those off their hands…

Would it really be that hard to update the software to run in test mode all the time? Sure, they wouldn’t be the sportsters they were, but they’ll still be reasonably clean econo boxes. Beats shredding them.

5 Likes