VW offers to buy back 500K demon-haunted diesels

[Read the post]

11 Likes

The silly thing about all this, if I am correct, is that a 1.9 L TDI from 1 year before the first “clean diesel” Jettas probably puts out the same amount of NOx & SOx (well, perhaps less SOx since the actual diesel fuel has reduced sulphur) as the so-called fraudulent ones. The regulators and the buying public certainly didn’t have outrage the year those were sold.

So clearly this is about trust and lying, not about pollution.

1 Like

FTA: “It is not clear whether VW will be allowed to resell vehicles they buy back, the source said.”

1 Like

I imagine it puts out quite a bit more, which is what strikes me as so ridiculous about the whole thing.

I know this is a fantasy, but it would have made far more sense fot VW to buy back the offending vehicles and be allowed to sell them very cheaply to the owners of old Diesels as replacements. This would have a net positive effect on air pollution. The idea of scrapping the bought back vehicles and leaving really dirty old ones on the road seems utterly stupid.

[incidentally - “demon-haunted”. That’s what we need; Stirling engines with a Maxwell’s Demon. Almost zero fuel consumption.]

5 Likes

Do you know why the the so-called fraudulent ones are the called fraudulent? Because they are fraudulent. They were designed to defeat emissions tests in order to appear clean while polluting more than advertised.

Can you think of a better word than fraudulent? Yes it’s about trust. You say that as if it’s nothing.

2 Likes

That should be DAS Schmutz, no?

That’s as may be, but it would be interesting to find out how many owners of these fraudulent cars want them “fixed” and how many would be happy to keep the fraudulent software in place.

I wouldn’t much care myself, about one car. I would still want the company held accountable by my government.

On second thought, these cars might not be street legal, so there needs to be a recall or a buyback.

1 Like

nope, Schmutz is always masculine. deal with it.:wink:

3 Likes

I own one of these cars. I would like to know if they offer me the retail price when I bought it, or it’s value when the scandal broke.

I think most bought them for the gas mileage and not for environmental reasons despite it being advertised as a eco-friendly solution. I know I was very close to buying one for my long commute and no have no regrets.

I spoke with my dealer about that (Ha! never expected to write that in these forums), and they said that they would give fair market value + estimated cost of repair (if they did the repair) + the $1k “we’re sorry” package you probably already signed up for.

My dealership also is running a loyalty promotion of an extra $1k if you buy another VW from them after that.

The choice is clear: Upgrade to a Golf R.

3 Likes

Fair Market Value of when? Now or before the story leaked? My FMV (Jetta Sportwagen TDI) went down around $4K immediately after the story broke. I want FMV from then, not now.

1 Like

Well that and the fact VW was sort of publicly outed. It’s hard for the government not to have to play the stern parent when the rules get broken, even if they don’t really care that much. To me the pollution aspect is hand waving just to make everything seem like a bigger problem than it is, because if it was a serious problem some data other than 40 times X would keep being presented.

To me it’s inline with the government enforcement of “safety”. All cars now have just about every safety option you can get standard because safety. When in reality just making stability control a standard item in 2011 saved less than an estimated 800 lives. Yet at the same time in 2011 only a scant 12.7 million cars were sold. Which means that even if it only cost the consumer an average of $100 per auto to include these features, those estimated 800 lives cost everyone $1.27 billion.

In reality if it was about safety the government and everyone could have taken the steps 30+ years ago and taught people how to drive instead of being a passive operator of a machine that can kill. Instead now the next vehicle I buy will likely have stability control, lane departure, automatic braking, blind spot monitoring, active cruise control, and a bunch more things that are likely to break before 200k miles. I’m not saying you need to eliminate those options, but they should be options, not mandated nanny controls because people are to busy staring at their phones instead of actually driving.

2 Likes

Just read this story on MSN Money: Exclusive: VW to offer to buy back nearly 500,000 U.S. diesel cars

Story states it is value before the scandal broke + an additional $5K for each affected customer. I love the car but, that would be too good to pass up…

1 Like

Unclear.

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant Red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
We’ll fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime

3 Likes

Ich habe Deutsch in der Sekundarschule gelernt, but it was decades ago.

My memory of gender use in German was incorrect. Thanks.

1 Like

Perhaps once they’re converted to coal.

Gotta love that coal lobby.

1 Like