VW offers to buy back 500K demon-haunted diesels

Speak for yourself, eh. In any case, all three (der, die, and das) would have been correct, depending on the situation.

My mother tongue is French, where le poêle and la poêle are both correct, depending one where you’re talking about the stove or the frying pan that’s on top of it. I think it’s a testament to the wonder of the human brain, that even as little kids, we’re able to remember the genders of all those objects.

1 Like

And in English, rotator spelled backwards is rotator. Your move, Germans.

2 Likes

I think you’ve missed the fact that the remark was intended to be humorous, but I’ve deleted the post anyway to avoid misunderstanding.

1 Like

You shouldn’t have deleted it - in fact, I demand that you reinstate it.

I can’t remember the noun you used in the anecdote about that not-Joyce Irish author, a place name, I believe, which could also have been a family name, hence the possibility of all three genders. Cheers!

We really like it our late model Tdi. A buyback of such a recent model at market value (e.g. September 2015 value adjusted for now) would likely leave me owing some money to cover the upside down part of the financing. If they throw in a $5000 kicker, that probably would allow the loan to be paid off with some leftovers. The fix won’t change mileage or performance enough to prevent our continued affection for the car. $5000 + the fix would recompense for the loss in market value without forcing us to lose the car. And I expect the value to be regained when people realize the fix isn’t that bad, and, more importantly, when fuel prices inevitably go back up (especially now that we are messing with the Saudis – I know, it’s complicated), although arguably the value would go up more if there hadn’t been this issue.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.