Fucking NY Times

Here is a good take-down of op-ed’s.

The goal of newspapers is to inform the public. But increasingly, they are publishing opinion pieces as fact, misleading and confusing readers, and undermining their own agenda—and quite possibly, our democracy

It probably doesn’t come as much of a surprise that a significant segment of U.S. news consumers can’t tell the difference between what constitutes “news” and “opinion”—but it’s not entirely their fault. Between news outlets struggling to accurately and consistently label opinion content as “opinion,” the challenges and limits that come with a disaggregated phone-first consumption model, and a general lack of media literacy around what constitutes a factual statement compared to a statement of opinion, there’s plenty of blame to go around.

7 Likes

paywall free…

https://archive.ph/C8o3T

and I’m doubly annoyed at this…

Mr. Warnock

He’s a senator, a reverend, and he holds a phd. Use one of his proper titles, you dicks.

9 Likes

That is their archaic (shitty) style. They refer to the person once (Senator Warnock) by their title, and then they use Mr. (or Ms.) from that point forward. There’s an article in the paper today where they refer to “President Biden” once and then “Mr. Biden” for the rest of the story. It’s super silly because they also referred to Trump as President Trump, not former President Trump or then-President Trump.

It looks awful and it’s not consistently applied across professions. I see another article in the paper where they refer to a medical doctor as a Dr. Paul Burton and then Dr. Burton every other time.

They need to bring themselves into the 21st century (or at least the last decade of the 20th century).

10 Likes

9 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

Four years ago Ross Douthat wrote The Redistribution of Sex where he argued for solving the frustration of incels by somehow getting more people to be in monogamous relationships. This is just him coming clean about how that would work. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

:face_vomiting:

:scream:

11 Likes

It’s also worth noting that in that 50 years we’ve nearly depleted the earth’s accessible stores of helium to the point where it makes it difficult to mimic the whiny-ass tone of Ross Douthat’s pitiful rant.

10 Likes
7 Likes

Had a glance at the NYT to see how they were covering the apparent murder of a journalist by the Israeli army. But what really made me spit out my coffee was this:

Not linking to the piece.

9 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

yikes. something tells me that article would never have been published with a picture of a thirteen year old. since republicans are also forcing birth of children on to children

6 Likes

“Old fashioned liberals” is code for conservative asshole.

4 Likes

DeStankis?

2 Likes
5 Likes
11 Likes

I thought this was an opinion piece, but it’s literally just an opinion piece the editors of the news room publish. It literally is a no effort article that just finds a handful of quotes most of which can be yanked from google searches. To make it worse it literally does the both sides strategy of finding an equal number of bigots and normal people to quote, and doesn’t cite literally anything it tries to use to make a point with any substance about.

6 Likes

Same old same old when it comes to us.

7 Likes