Full story of the missionary killed when trying to convert an "uncontacted" tribe

/tunaslap

Thanks for this. Interview starts at 22:00.

3 Likes

Nice use of the verb “loose”. (As one does with fateful lightning.)

Somebody else mentioned that show. I’ll have to check it out.

2 Likes

I feel like we’re talking about that exactly enough.:wink:

4 Likes

Mister 44, you are right about ignorance. A common cold virus could easily wipe them out, having NO immunity to it. At best, it could run roughshod over them and kill a percentage.

3 Likes

Sorry, that comment was intended for Tuhu, who is correct. Mister 44 is dead wrong about immunity. If there’s no previous exposure, there’s no immunity.

2 Likes

It’s not just the common cold, it’s the bloody common cold. I wonder if even an isolated island is far enough. :thinking:

With such a small population, I’d guess that they can’t maintain their own resident strain of cold.

1 Like

I did:

genocide

noun

geno·​cide | \ ˈje-nə-ˌsīd

Definition of genocide

: the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group

I said colds, not influenza. Different viruses with way different dangers.

No.

In this case, the kid was nothing but deliberate in his plans to destroy a culture in part, in actions that we know he knew had directly caused mass fatality genocidal incidents in the past. He thought it was justified, to spread his religion, but that doesn’t make it less a risk of a genocidal incident.

You said a remote tribe could easily handle a cold, because “they have to deal with a lot more bacteria and parasites than the average person does today.”

That’s not how colds work. Don’t double-down on dangerous and useless medical advice. Any infectious disease can be lethal to remote tribes.

2 Likes

Words have meanings. When the word “genocide” was coined, it was to describe what happened to the Armenians in what is now called (at least to some people, don’t ask the Turks what it’s called… or the official US position, either) the Armenian Genocide. Altering the meaning to fit what ever YOU think the word means doesn’t actually change the meaning.

If you want to argue that a common cold could be more dangerous than my apparent opinion on it - then go ahead and argue that point. I may even concede it COULD be something they couldn’t handle.

DON’T argue the point that the flu would be super dangerous, because I never said the flu wasn’t dangerous.

This person, having educated themselves that they were risking wiping out a whole tribe, still went ahead with that plan.

That’s not “altering” the meaning of any word. He knowingly, through deliberate planned action, risked wiping out a unique culture.

That’s why his plan was both illegal and immoral. Because it risked the same kind of genocidal incident that happened to many of the neighbouring tribes, as well as tribes throughout history elsewhere.

How generous of you. Saying you only meant colds is a distinction without difference, because saying colds were fine is still ignorant. If you don’t understand by now that all infectious diseases carry significant risks of harm to remote tribes, then why would I waste any time telling you again? Go argue with any random doctor, if you still want to sound the way you sound.

1 Like

I’m requesting if you’re going to argue against someone, argue what they said, not make up a straw man. There is a big difference and a huge distinction between influenza and the cold virus.

If you want to press the cold issue, you have a point it can effect people badly, but I have a point that the common cold isn’t what is known to kill off a significant portion of a population. In the example of say secluded Brazilian tribes who come in contact with loggers, it is the more dangerous diseases that end up causing multiple deaths. Just like in the history of the New World meeting the Old World the killers were small pox, measles, and yes - infuenza, etc.

A common cold could weaken an immune system allowing some other issue to take hold like Pneumonia. Fair point. Infectious diseases ARE a significant threat. But as far as they go, the common cold is one of if not the least lethal. Heck I am having trouble finding cases of people dying from just a cold. But maybe you will have better luck. Please forward any info you find on secluded peoples dying off because of exposure to the common cold. I’d love to learn about.

I give up, why?

Did you answer 19 minutes before the thread closed just to try to gaslight everyone into thinking I didn’t tell you it was also colds?

That’s just sad.

There’s plenty of material on the risks of infectious diseases to remote tribes, including the common cold.

I hope you’re never near anyone who depends on you for health guidance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.