Future astronaut food could taste like shit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/02/future-astronaut-food-could-ta.html

If it was good ‘nuff for those two girls and a cup…

5 Likes

Just don’t make the toilet and the food dispenser a single module.

2 Likes

And the colour?

1 Like

Kind of like the Human Centipede.

2 Likes

Our new puppy thinks that this is completely acceptable.

6 Likes

From what I’ve witnessed dogs think human poop tastes like food, and dogs were also the first earthlings in space, so we’re coming full circle here.

3 Likes

Where’s the (double plus) unlike button when you need it? I’d forgotten about that video.

Soylent cow pies are made out of people! It’s people!

soylent

1 Like

At the risk of sounding disappointed, starting at ‘Microbes may help astronauts transform human waste into food’ and arriving at ‘Future astronaut food could taste like shit’ is a bit of a stretch.
Especially as we are talking about breaking down stuff to its molecular level and reassembling it to form other stuff. Which is something that happens all the time:

8 Likes

Swimming in the slurry
Burning in the heat
Wind blown is the weather
I eat what you secrete

-John Lydon

2 Likes

They’re called plants, and we are astronauts on a deep space mission.

10 Likes

And cows. Cows are basically concentrated processed grass.

3 Likes

Okay. There goes my dream of becoming an astronaut.

Does organic produce taste like cow shit or pigs’ blood? Because those are commonly-used organic fertilizers.

Here we have yet another wide-eyed naif, horrified to discover that life is actually organic and messy and ignorant enough to entertain everyone with their Beavis’n’Butthead-level “Astronaut food will taste like shit, eeewwwww!” fantasies. Hur Hur Hur.

Now, that’s entertainment! /s

1 Like

So are a few our our fellow astronauts. Wheeee.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/6vVle67Tfjc

2 Likes

mmmmm. so basically meconium…

All atoms in the biosphere recycle endlessly, including the ones currently in your food. Chips and marmalade and Sunday roast are tasty in spite of being made of reprocessed shit.

Writing hysterical headlines saying that astronaut’s food will taste like shit because shit is used to grow it is pig-ignorant - is Betsy DeVos writing your headlines?

1 Like