Gallery of vintage steel kitchen cabinets

Originally published at: Gallery of vintage steel kitchen cabinets | Boing Boing

3 Likes

what a great article! so much to drool over.

3 Likes

My grandma had steel cabinets in her house and I think it’s clear why they went away. They are cold, loud, and rattly, like an old toolbox. Wood cabinets are warm, comforting, dampen sound in the space, and don’t rust. Modern melamine shelving is also a dream because it’s inexpensive and very easy to clean. MDF is a great base for this- inexpensive, perfectly flat, won’t warp or distort over time, etc.

Not everything new is worse than everything old.

2 Likes

Vox investigates the failure of the all-steel home. (11min)

3 Likes

Fun article … but I think it’s fair to guess that the author isn’t a researcher, so take the whole thing with a big grain of salt.

One glaring example: that statement that Frank Lloyd Wright “certainly must have given steel cabinets a popularity boost” is downright false. Wright was a well known architect by the 1930s, but his house designs didn’t have any real impact on the housing market (much to his dismay). That’s why you don’t see a widespread “Frank Lloyd Wright modern style” in pre- or post-war housing. The author conflates Wright’s recognized historic importance today with his own time and errantly assumes he was moving the housing design market and steel kitchen cabinets back in the day. He wasn’t.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.