Upgrade Ikea furniture with nice knobs and legs

Originally published at: Upgrade Ikea furniture with nice knobs and legs | Boing Boing

Something about the phrase “… create the look of a bespoke handmade plywood kitchen for a fraction of the cost” makes me go “Wait, what?”

I guess that in the age of laminate-everything, plywood is relatively prestigious. But it still sounds a little like “dress yourself in the sophisticated style of genuine pleather”, or “give your car the state-of-the-art engineering values of the revolutionary Trabant”.

10 Likes

nice knobs

Jean Harlow Lol GIF by Maudit

Also…the price for just one knob at Prettypegs?

Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN

3 Likes

Some people are into a good peg every now and then

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

5 Likes

Cracking Up Lol GIF

1 Like

Wait, I thought someone had already built a business on making IKEA-level furniture look fancy?

Disclaimer: I have examples of both in my house. I ain’t fancy. But I know an overpriced upsell when I see one.

1 Like

Plywood is better than solid wood for cabinet bodies, IMO. Accommodates changes in heat and humidity better. I ultimately bought an IKEA kitchen (and couldn’t be happier, honestly), but when we were shopping, even the really expensive cabinets were all plywood with solid wood face frames. Thicker, higher-quality plywood than what you’ll get in flat-pack furniture, but plywood nonetheless.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.