Games reveal the contrasting colors of accessibility

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

Tip-top!

If only folk would include keybinding in games too so folks like me could use cursor keys rather than struggling with WSAD.

2 Likes

Thanks for checking it out! Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re missing, though Iā€™m sure itā€™s something since so many AAA seem to be so color-dependent on some very basic stuff.

My son is red-green colorblind,and itā€™s infuriating when games canā€™t put in some trivial texture difference, have a mode that can switch colors, or at least pick colors that arenā€™t absolutely indistinguishable for people suffering from the common types of color deficient vision. The worst is when an entire game is playable, but some end-level suddenly requires you, out of the blue, to tell the difference. I always remember watching him get to the final level of Myst IV as a young teen, where they suddenly put in an extremely color-blindness unfriendly level that killed his ability to finish the game. That was a Ubisoft game, like Assassinā€™s Creed Unity, which evidently screws over color blind gamers again, being essentially unplayable if you canā€™t tell the difference between red/green.

Iā€™d love to see a voluntary standard where game producers put on the back of the box a ā€œcolorblind friendlyā€ indication. The ones that put in the effort to accommodate that not insignificant portion of their players would benefit from more sales from the color blind and general positive PR, the ones that donā€™t might be more apt to pay attention seeing it listed on the their competitorā€™s products as a feature.

Speaking of color blindness, gene therapy is still around the cornerā€“Iā€™d bet in 5 to 10 years, the common forms will be curable: http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-09-20/cure-colorblindness-may-be-sight

Iā€™m genuinely curious whether ā€œblack and whiteā€ is an oversimplification, or ā€œmy favorite colorā€ is achromatopsic gallows humor.

To put it another way, the number of people who are visually impaired or using adaptive technology exceeds the number of people using Internet Explorer 8. And weā€™re supporting that shitpile, soā€¦

I wonder if this could allow artificial tetrachromacy at healthy people, or perhaps even do some gene-modding and inserting ability to see near-infrared. I for one would love the ability to see down to 1000 nmā€¦

ā€¦and I bet there will be ā€œbioethicistsā€ screaming how ā€œwrongā€ that would be to doā€¦ But arenā€™t we all suffering from infrared color-blindness?

1 Like

Usually under options controls.

Surprising this is often left off; particularly on console ports.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.