Gardening, Part 2

I went out and got some 1/8" cable, and I’ll put an eye on the end. I also got hooks to hang from the facia board, from which the cables will hang. In theory come harvest time I can unhook the cable and lower the plant and cable to the ground.

11 Likes

Garden pics

quite a few

13 Likes

Looks amazing!

8 Likes

You are way ahead of me. I am jealous.

8 Likes

It’s central Tx, if we haven’t gotten seedlings in the ground by April, we won’t get much before summer halts all production or the heat will kill the baby plants. I had a snow pea plant. Already dead from the heat.

I don’t know if it’s like this for everyone round here or if it’s the drip irrigation, but we have riotous growth through April and half of may. Like the squash vines seemed to grow a foot every week. I think maybe next year I’ll measure.

8 Likes

Posted over here too.

This is one of my strawberry ladders. It leans against a wall spanning the basement window well. Made from recycled green-treated 2x4s and some patio planters.

16 Likes

Not to eat, but I do like columbines:

13 Likes

Garden picture.

19 Likes

Tomorrow we start picking strawberries and rhubarb. Cherries are coloring up, and peaches and nectarines are plumping. Just about time to start my annual battle with Japanese beetles. Sigh.

11 Likes

About 7 years ago, i planted 3 hardy kiwi vines. In those ysars, i have picked at most 4-5 fruit per year. This year they are absolutely loaded. Like to the “Holy shit, honey, what are we gonna do with those?” level. Any ideas? Hey @DukeTrout , ever made kiwi mead?

11 Likes

No sir. Probably the closest thing to kiwi I’ve made mead from is Asian pear. Both seem like delicate flavors. I’m not sure what I’d pair with it. Maybe vanilla? Coconut?

7 Likes

Hmmm, vanilla might work… I need to think on that one!

5 Likes

I love this! :smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, 15-20# of wheat, and 5-6 hours work all told. Def not doing it to save money! Rewarding in other ways, though, and a hell of a lot cheaper than therapy. So, yeah, there is that too.

9 Likes

Yeah. I don’t garden to save money on food!

Squash Vine borers killed the youngest squash and may have done for one of the two others. Sigh.

I need to find the native Texas ones that will grow in clay. I too love those flowers.

The view from one of my bedroom windows. I especially like watching the bees visit the sunflowers

12 Likes

We live in a mid-19th century house. At some point previous owners added a second floor, carefully removing four large chimneys. We have thousands of bricks stacked in the backyard. So it was time to put them to use. Right-side of path still to be finished today.

11 Likes

And, a weedy embankment converted to a 10’x20’ plot of sunflowers. Took a 10# bag of sunflower seeds for bird feeders, soaked them overnight, broadcast them around, ranked them in, and covered them lightly with mulch. Daily water for a week, then a couple times a week. (Also some of the many many stray bricks to be found everywhere on the property)

14 Likes

Kiwi is a go-to fruit for bulgogi marinade, might be able to put some aside (preserves/frozen) to use in marinades?

9 Likes

That’s gonna be a lot of sunflowers!

9 Likes

Hopefully. Once they get seeds they get covered in goldfinches.

10 Likes