Mutant horticulture

Thread for gardening, house plants, yard projects, and pictures of flowers. See also Gardening, Part 2

You have a tinier jade plant? Let’s see it!

Brought back some Tillandsias from TX. Will they grow? Let’s find out!

Dogwood!

Redbud!

20 Likes

kuri squash:

orchids!:

15 Likes

We built these shelves out of reclaimed wood in a day this past week, and the seedlings are going soon!

15 Likes

So I think I may be double-dipping between this topic and the gardening topic. I dont think anyone will mind though?

13 Likes

There’s a gardening topic?

6 Likes

Yup

10 Likes

Argh, did not mean to derail.

5 Likes

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

6 Likes

Maybe we can make this the houseplant thread vs the garden (presumably outside…) thread?

I have a hoya problem…

Ok, maybe it’s a houseplant problem more generally, but my latest obsession is hoyas :grimacing:

13 Likes

I have a messy Aloe (?) plant that I rescued from my wife. It was about 4" tall when I got it around 8 years ago. Now its this twisted mess, has been repotted twice and the clones have been potted too. I truly dont know what to do with it!

15 Likes

I find myself in a similar situation re: aloe. If you figure something out, let me know, and I’ll do likewise! I was thinking of figuring out how to make our own aloe gel for sunburns or something…IDK.

7 Likes

I am also a member of the “WFT do I do with my aloe plant” club! Mine just wont die but looks weird and has been repotted twice.

ETA: I’ve banished it to our gear room because I can’t bring myself to get rid of it but I don’t really want to have to look at it all the time.

11 Likes

Me, too. Mine looks like it’s trying to make a break for it. I used to have it in my office but so many people commented about it on Zoom calls I decided to move it… :flushed:

10 Likes

My ugly aloe vera:

It was all nice and symmetrical when my neighbor gave it to me 5 years ago, and it’s done what every other aloe I’ve had did: immediately grow floppy and messy. I pinched off the pup in the small pot because Kiddo wanted her own plant, and it’s not like she can kill it.

(Also, none of the cats are plant chewers except Bitey Kitten at this particular moment)

12 Likes

@NukeML @ClutchLinkey @Wayward It seems like we need to have an aloe “beauty” pageant.

10 Likes

Having spent so much time in the office, I think my aloe will dominate in the “interview” category, lol.

12 Likes

Now, instead of one plant that everyone wants, dozens are popular. The National Garden Bureau declared 2022 the year of the peperomia, but fans are also craving alocasias, anthuriums, calatheas and hoyas of all kinds.

I’ve been wanting to get into hoyas for years, but seems like I’m too late…

4 Likes

Not sure which topic so I’ll just leave these here.

We planted a couple hundred bulbs last fall, the crocuses made the mistake of popping up first in Michigan. We’re getting a few inches of snow today.

15 Likes

Goodness this weather is annoying! We’re past the theoretical last frost date for the year and its snowin RIGHT NOW!

7 Likes

We get burned every year. We normally plant 15 flats of vincas and impatiens every year. Last year we bought them and then got nervous so we left them in the garage for a week.

We thought it was safe the weekend before Memorial Day so we planted all of them. A few days later I was covering them up with every sheet I could find.

7 Likes