Hundreds of Americans planted those unsolicited mystery seeds from China

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/13/hundreds-of-americans-planted.html

9 Likes

And this is how Audrey II took over the world.

36 Likes

49 Likes

Looks like just the sort of idiotic people who would vote for Trump! Who, in their right mind, would plant, much less EAT, strange seeds received, unsolicited, through the post? Still, never mind, it might thin the brainless wonders out from the gene pool a bit!

15 Likes

Who in their right mind would stick a bodkin in their eye-socket? People are curious and also bored. I probably would have at least considered panting the seeds in a pot indoors.

10 Likes

hey why not, could be magic

8 Likes

Oh snap. ag department!

11 Likes

What’s the worst that could happen?

19 Likes

10 Likes

But communication from the general public is concerning. People planted seeds even when expressly told not to. Hundreds of people had no idea whether they had ever ordered seeds, or how to check. Some people called 911. Others ate the seeds. Others ordered something specific, got what they ordered from who they ordered it from, then still panicked. Others were furious they had to pay for postage to send the seeds to the government. From one recipient in North Carolina: “I did not receive seeds. I received a suspicious package from China with a spoon and a fork in it my concerns are that it is full of Covid.”

I have very little hope for the educational status of America, but this just makes me want to crawl into a hole and hide. Ate the seeds? Panicking over things they bought, from the people they bought it from? Thinking cutlery is a vector for disease?

The pandemic has made me think Idiocracy is more than a movie a lot lately, and this see thing just makes my head hurt.

30 Likes

33 Likes

What idiot told an American not to do something potentially stupid and dangerous? Hey genius, when that situation comes up, you distract us with cookies and an extra half hour of screen time. We’ll have forgotten all about it by tomorrow.

Relatedly, if there isn’t already a business selling packets of Mystery Seeds, there needs to be one. That’s maybe the only thing that could make me interested in gardening.

12 Likes

19 Likes

No Sorry. Does not apply. Some people are plain dumb, too.

3 Likes

More evidence that the Dumbening is real, and it has worked all too well.

SMDH

23 Likes

The United States is a country built for con artists by con artists. That’s why I urge each and every Real American to buy these tickets to Venus.

warning: the story linked is that special early 50s level of offensive-on-all-levels

10 Likes

As far as planting goes… its mostly harmless to see what grows… unless you have some sort of invasive species that messes things up.

1 Like

Jesus Christ, America. It was bad enough when I read they planted them (this is a great way to introduce new weeds and plant diseases to an area), but some people ate the damn things? When people have no survival instinct, that bothers me, but I’m also worried about the impact this could have on the ecosystem.

Highly unlikely, even if they end up being poisonous enough to make people sick. Far more likely they introduced new crop diseases and pests to bedevil agriculture and ecosystems. Just as a backyard farmer, I’m constantly fighting new pests and diseases being introduced from Asia by people being careless (or even despite being careful) with plant/fruit/seed imports, but this is beyond careless.

12 Likes

Yep. Very concerning.

14 Likes

Kudzu? Anybody?
Pepperidge Farms remembers.

15 Likes