Wanna grow your own tumbleweed? Now you can!

Originally published at: Wanna grow your own tumbleweed? Now you can! | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Hey kids! Let’s learn about noxious weeds!

18 Likes

I don’t need to grow my own. The wind blows a couple dozen of these things into my driveway every year. It’s not always Russian thistle, though. Sometimes it’s baby’s breath.

12 Likes

Tumbleweeds! How Fun! What could possibly go wrong?

15 Likes

And about invasive plants!

16 Likes

I was confused about the name Russian Thistle for a plant that apparently grows in the United States. Turns out it’s an invasive species. This company should not be selling seeds of noxious and invasive species

Distribution: Russian thistle is a summer annual native to southeastern Russia and western Siberia and was originally introduced into the United States as a contaminant of flax seed in South Dakota in 1873. Within 20 years, it had spread to 16 western states and several Canadian provinces. It is now widespread throughout western North America, including virtually all arid and semi-arid regions of California and Russian thistle infests around 100 million acres of land.

http://www.tsusinvasives.org/home/database/salsola-tragus
https://www.cal-ipc.org/plants/profile/salsola-tragus-profile/

16 Likes
20 Likes

That was great, thanks

ice cream coke GIF

10 Likes

Anybody else look at those things and immediately think

22 Likes

Out of stock. Hopefully the Department of Agriculture has now explained to them (with heavy menace) that you can’t just sell seeds by mail, and especially not seeds of a plant like tumbleweed.

“Christmas tumbleweed”, really?

16 Likes

just came to make sure this video got posted by someone

5 Likes

there must be a law against selling seeds for invasive weeds. if not, there should be.

12 Likes

Tumbleweeds Are Jerks GIF - Arrested Development Michael Bluth Tumbleweed - Discover & Share GIFs

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Please don’t grow this (unless you’re in the original habitat for Salsola tragus L.).

6 Likes

Not to mention that according to their website, they are based in Utah, where you would think they would have a good understanding of the problems with tumbleweeds…

10 Likes

This, yes this.

Hey kids! Wanna grow an invasive non-native species?! It’s easy and fun, and self-replicating!!

7 Likes

We used to use these as Christmas trees growing-up, hanging them from the ceiling. Not the worst invasive species around here. I’d like a word with you, mesquite.

3 Likes

Next thing you know, they’ll be selling goat head thorn seeds.

7 Likes

Maybe some Giant Hogweed and Kudzu too?

11 Likes

I’ll see your mesquite and raise you ashe juniper.

#@(&$(& cedar fever

5 Likes