Wanna grow your own tumbleweed? Now you can!

We’ve got plenty of English Ivy here in the Northwest. Just one clipping will set you up for life.

6 Likes

Uh… I feel like this is a horrible way to introduce invasive species to a broader range…

It is so weird something that is used in pop culture and cartoons to signify a desolate range of land, actually didn’t even exist in the US till the mid 1800s, when Russian wheat had seeds mixed in and were transplanted over here.

5 Likes

A bit old hat, isn’t it - has been done since 1492 or so.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I still have scars from the burns this thing dealt out. Holy shit is it nasty!!

11 Likes

Was on an edible plant page, people were talking about ragweed recipes, and someone from Japan was curious on how she might get some plants to try the recipes out. She was quickly discouraged. It’s native to North America, but has invaded Asia and Europe, does not deserve help.

7 Likes

At my institution the Dean of the Science College (of all freaking people) talked about how he was taking Spanish Moss from the trees here up to Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia, and putting it in the trees around his place because he “loved the look of it and hoped it would grow a bit there.” My reply of “you’re a fucking moron” got me banned from their dean’s office and a conversation with the Provost.

15 Likes

I love plants, but that plant is an asshole.

8 Likes

One man’s ‘interesting plant’ is another man’s ‘kill it with fire!!!’

6 Likes

Oh man, I could grow both tumbleweed and kudzu and let them fight it out in my backyard!

9 Likes

They would both win

13 Likes

I think the house would lose.

15 Likes

I cleared it out of our yard, but this stuff is in the woods around us:

The plant was accidentally introduced into the U.S. state of Tennessee around 1919 as a result of being used as a packing material in shipments of porcelain from China. It has spread throughout the Southeastern U.S. and is now found in 26 states.

7 Likes

Those are the worse little plants. Hard sharp spikes from hell.

3 Likes

After consideration, I see a humorous link with the invasive species called the goat head thorn plant, since its name is “tribulus terrestris”.

6 Likes

Oh lord… Had to look that up. Also called Puncture Vine, in the family Caltrop. Nominative determinism?

Thanks, I hate it. Arizona can keep that one.

10 Likes

Ag0KMaQ

16 Likes

This has always been a mystery to anyone who lives outside the US and watched Westerns and cartoons. What the hell were those strange balls running across the landscape?

12 Likes

Obligatory Roy Rogers reference, for nostalgia. Tumbling Tumbleweeds

4 Likes

Same problem really.

4 Likes