Gardening, Part 2

Finally got the hops sorted out. Getting the hooks onto the soffit was, fraught, but we got it done.

14 Likes

very nice! what type hops, again? (i’m sure you have already mentioned, sorry.)
i grew cascade hops when i lived in Issaquah, WA. they grew to the roof of our 2-story house! flavored up some damn fine ale!

9 Likes

Theyre cascade hops. Hopefully I’ll be able to use in my Christmas beer.

10 Likes

My favourite time of year.

15 Likes
4 Likes

Started the seedlings indoors, then hardened them off before putting them in 10 gallon grow bags. The kiddie pool has drainage holes 3 inches up, and the pea gravel keeps it covered to keep the mosquitoes away.

The videos I watched talked about attaching a floater mechanism to keep the water level high, but I decided to just keep an eye on it.

The strains are Lemon Tree, Animal Crackers, and Chem Dog #24. They’re all nomal strains, not autoflowers.

I still haven’t figured out the best way to fertilize, but I figure I can work that out when the time comes.

9 Likes

I picked almost a quart yesterday! There should be at least a pint today. Up next: cherries, starting probably tomorrow.

11 Likes

Yum. One of my favorite ways to cook those is to quickly blister them in a pan then sprinkle with lime or lemon juice, salt and nutritional yeast. Delicious.

5 Likes

They’re still little, but it’s as if it happened overnight. I checked the buckets a couple days ago and didn’t see anything, and today, voila!
Some yummy little blue oysters:

And some baby Lion’s Mane are popping out:

@docosc - anything to report from your buckets yet?

12 Likes

Checked this weekend, nothing yet. But when it does, they come on really quickly.

9 Likes

Grabbed another 7 lbs today. Almost have a full years-worth set by in the freezer.

14 Likes

this season’s jamaican blue banana crop is really looking healthy! last season was the first produced by these trees and didn’t fully make. these are looking very good and should make a bunch!
just look at it!

15 Likes

Do you get Palm Rats, and do they go after the bananas?

7 Likes

no rats in the palms or bananas. we have 6 royal palms and are surrounded by coconut palms, but no rats (thank goodness!)
iguana, now that we have in the trees. don’t know if they like bananas, but they do like my orchid flowers and the long beans that get to the top of the trellis, right under their noses, so that’s my bad for planting them under trees like that.

9 Likes

In the 1970s in San Diego the city used to trim the palm trees, partly for aesthetics, partly for rat control. When they stopped, the rat infestation became crazy. Now the trees look like this in one of my old neighborhoods. You can clearly see when they stopped trimming, 42-43 years ago. Ah, Prop 13!

9 Likes

We’re going camping again this weekend, so I’m thinking of leaving the bigger ones until we get back, but I’m not sure.
Do you ever have trouble with other animals eating them? Ours are on a concrete pad in the shade, and we have pretty regular visits from deer, squirrels, flying squirrels (yay!), skunk, raccoons, foxes, porcupine and various birds. And I’m sure lesser seen rodents, though the ground hogs seem to be under control for now.

5 Likes

Jefe, what on earth is a blue banana?
Damned curious.

4 Likes

I have a cherry tree on my allotment.

I have a lot of fat birds on my allotment.

10 Likes

we call the jamaican, but they are better known as java blue or “ice cream” bananas. very sweet, fragrant and reminiscent of vanilla:

eta: they don’t stay blue, they ripen to yellow with brown spots. (but they do go through a blue phase before ripening)

12 Likes

Do you sing about your allotment?

3 Likes