Gardening, Part 2

I’m excited, not dismayed, so this is the plan. I have enough cukes! One grew to 14 inches when I wasn’t looking

8 Likes

Texan Triffid?

6 Likes

:notes:
Oh, the shape of the plant is frightful
But its green is so delightful
And and as long as I can’t find the hoe
Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow

It doesn’t show signs of stopping
And it might be something budding
And as long as we just don’t know

It starts to look really precious
And the neighbours seem quite jealous
I might score at the next garden show

As long as it keeps to grow
Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow!
:notes:

9 Likes

Looks like a butternut squash to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
Tasty, takes a while to grow and stays fresh for a long time. We usually get about 6 nearly foot long squash per plant. Will take up space, but can grow up a trellis until the fruit gets too heavy.

8 Likes

It does! I’ll have to look up hammocks or something for the fruit in case it is.

6 Likes

Pantyhose work a treat!

8 Likes

was going to say the same. we grew kuri squash that get about the size of a small pumpkin. we used nylon knee-highs suspended from trellis, leaving room for vine to grow and plenty of stretch to accommodate the growing squash!

10 Likes

@NukeML and @FloridaManJefe
Thank you! I will be trying that. Might be good for the delicata
This is from a single shishito pepper plant. I’ve not eaten that kind yet. We’re going to blister them in oil in the cast iron then use some for a salsa and some to pickle

14 Likes

nice peppers! shishito have great flavor, but lack the heat punch for me. these are this season’s first picking of habaneros from one plant. same plant has a second crop coming in now!

excited to hear about your pickled shishito!
i will use these habs for a fermented habanero mango hot sauce. stay tuned!

15 Likes

You an my spouse would get a long well! He likes to make himself a hot sauce out of habeneros, ginger root, garlic, shallots, mustard, salt and vinegar. Excellent flavor but too hot for me.
We didn’t grow habeneros this year because we still have some in the freezer from last year. They just kept coming

10 Likes

Updated my irrigation system. I’m using a timer that lets me control three drip-line zones independently. Should increase my watering efficiency and cut down on mold growth since I won’t be wasting water getting leaves wet.

I’m also battling rodents, mainly mice and voles. These live-catch traps work pretty well. Any critters I catch get rehoused at the forest preserve. You can barely see the vole’s tail in the picture

12 Likes

98 degrees and the sunflowers love it

flowers

The kid’s is over 13 ft tall

Slightly less tall

Teddy bear sunflower. I only planted a few because I don’t think they are as good for pollinators as the tall ones

13 Likes

Laid up because of a more-serious-than-anticipated surgery, but I wobbled out to my neighbor’s yard (with permission) and picked around 10lbs of blueberries. In a couple days I’ll pick around 10lbs more, then 10 more next week. All frozen up I’ll be good for the coming year. The blueberries, too.

18 Likes

Our little memorial garden for the animals that have come and gone in our lives.

16 Likes

Cry Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Awww, man…

12 Likes

Has anyone tried gardening in grow bags, and keeping them watered using capillary action?

I’ve watched some videos on youtube (also), and it seems like a good plan – put the grow bags in a bigger container (kiddie pool), and the plants always have water. In order to avoid making a perfect breeding ground for mosquitos and algae, I’m going to fill the kiddie pool with pea gravel.

The thing I can’t figure out is how I apply the fertilizer. Should it be powder, or can I do liquid? And do I add it to the water in the kiddie pool, or do I apply it to the pot from the top?

None of my google-fu is helping me right now.

6 Likes

Im doing spuds in grow bags right now for the first time.

Im using a 2:1 ratio of soil to compost so in theory I shouldnt need more fertilizer. I’m watering with a watering can but its been pretty wet so far this year.

I doubt any of this is helpful to you but I look forward to figuring this out!

9 Likes

I don’t want to go too far off topic but you should see the memorial shelf. Six of our loved ones, the two on the left are sealed in their favorite food dish the rest are in nice urns along with 3 hard cover photo books.

The deal is, whoever goes first gets all the pets buried with them. We don’t want to leave them behind.

10 Likes

My wife has been dying to try those for tomatoes, Her birthday is coming up. I think I know what to get.

@dfaris I can’t help with he grow bags but we have a potted plant in the middle of our bird fountain and it hasn’t needed water for quite a while. It appears to be sucking up the water just fine.

6 Likes

That’s what I did with my dad: buried our dog right next to him (both cremated).

8 Likes