Gardening, Part 2

Those seedlings better be sunflowers!

2 Likes

Garden clearout day! The only crop left is Parsnips.

Mega leek!

Beds all filled for spring. I still have to plant garlic this weekend. Then everything will get covered with a blanket of leaves once they fall.

10 Likes

beautiful!
feel like i need to take a leek! :grin:
mmmm… leek soup :yum:

i gots 'nanners:

11 Likes

Those leeks look amazing! Good work! Your garden is an inspiration!

7 Likes

Jack Nicholson Thank You GIF

7 Likes

Shitakes! Got to most of them before the slugs this time!

7 Likes

first whole bunch of bananas of this season and carambola. there is another full bunch and a third one just starting to open its bloom. dozens more starfruit on that tree.

going to make carambola/ habanero jelly and freeze nanners for smoothies!

10 Likes

First chestnut harvest. They are only baby trees, and only one producing nuts this year. I have read that at maturity you can get 100# per tree. That’s nuts! (And a hell of a lot of spikey balls, too!)

I’ll see myself out…

:yum:

14 Likes

my little pony rimshot GIF

5 Likes

European chestnuts, or a North American hybrid? I’ve been interested in chestnuts, but I know the NA natives are still blighted.

We have bitternut hickories on the property, but as they die out I’m going to replace them with shagbark and shellbark hickories. I’ll probably never get to enjoy them, but hopefully someone will.

As soon as my yard project is done, I’m planning on putting North American filberts in. I’ve never grown nut trees before, so this is all an adventure.

And to contribute to the thread: I planted a pineapple top this spring, and four months later it finally threw up a new plant

8 Likes

These are blight-resistant hybrids. Need to get more efficient at the scoring/roasting/peeling thing, but worked out ok for my first attempt. Filberts are great! Mine produce really well. If you are not in Oregon, you need to make sure you get strains resistant to Eastern Blight. Mine are Eta, Theta and Jefferson. They do require cross pollination. And a good nut cracker!

6 Likes

Oh man, thanks for the heads up! I didn’t know to look for blight resistance in the filberts. I’m (barely) in the Midwest, so I’ll definitely look for that. Never met someone who grew filberts before, really glad to hear yours are producing!

4 Likes

We should really prune this. It’s starting to cover the sidewalk. But it’s so pretty and seemly every bee in a mile around visits it.

ETA: it’s an African Blue Basil. We haven’t noticed an appreciable bitterness in the leaves from the blooming, like some basil. So we can still use it for cooking and share with the bees

12 Likes

That’s our general rule, if there’s flowers for the bees, we hold off on serious pruning, just deadhead. Still have some budlea, salvia gregori, and a few others holding out.

6 Likes

Nice spam, though actually, SA (or willow extract, just take young willow sprouts and soak them in water for the free version… or just dissolve a couple of aspirin) is quite useful if you have mold prone plants, as it will ramp up their natural defenses before the mold can take hold. Not so useful afterward unfortuately.

5 Likes

I posted part one of this story on another BBS page, but I’ve re-emptied, lined, refilled the pond, replaced the rocks and planted some water lillies, and then added a hatch to the mesh (hinged with zip ties) for better access.

The mesh is there to protect any (future fish) and reptiles from Kookaburras and other birds while they’re drinking. We get common garden skinks, Eastern Water skinks, Major skinks, as well as lots of Asian house geckos.

11 Likes

ChatGPT, is that you?

2 Likes

Thanksgiving is done so I figured I’d assess how much of my garden made it into dinner.

Soup - entirely from garden except for the broth. Tomatoes, leeks, onions, garlic, various herbs. Frozen back in September then heated up for dinner

Green bean casserole - all the green beans

Apple crumble - used apples chopped and frozen earlier in the year.

Raspberry cheesecake - garden raspberries, frozen in July. Also sprinkled frozen raspberries over icecream

Brussels sprouts - three dried cayenne peppers, crushed and sprinkled over the sprouts. Zippy!

Garden is just about empty now. I still have a few parsnips but they have to come out today. Next year’s garlic is already set and green shoots are poking up already.

8 Likes

Last of my (very sad in comparison to your’s) garden is being eatwn tonight😁:

(Last of the bok choy)

11 Likes

Anything grown in the garden is a victory!

The Neverending Story Win GIF

8 Likes