Gardening

I really like my little kid with its little tongue hanging out. You can’t tell if my comment is going to be serious or not unless you read it. :wink:

[et] Also, Kidd - - > kid. Works on that level, too.

3 Likes

The Iron in your username is well earned.

5 Likes

Spaciba! If I were the be completely honest, I would admit the not-quite-as-hot Scotch Bonnet is my household’s actual favorite hot pepper. :wink:

4 Likes

Chocolate Habs would be mine. Scarcer than rocking-horse shit to get hold of, but I had a pot-plant of them once.
Real fruity flavour, plenty of heat.

2 Likes

I know just how difficult this variety is to grow. I wish you best of luck good yields out of these!

1 Like

I have so much love for scotch bonnet just based on association with jerk seasoning. They’re the best

3 Likes

From my experience, ghost peppers taste nice if you can handle the heat.

4 Likes

I need to find the recipe of some African soup again, the description says something like “add pepper to taste, the authentic flavour makes it impossible to notice if the soup is cold or warm”

6 Likes

At least to me, it’s got a distinct smokiness.

2 Likes

Anybody starting to set up their “overwinter” crop? I dug up the potatoes (didn’t get nearly the crop I’d hoped I would), and everything else is practically ready to come out, so I’m wondering what I might put in the ground now to harvest in Spring. Garlic? Onions? Carrots?

2 Likes

Too cold up here for winter crops. :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Garlic next month if it’s not to cold. And the sprouts and Italian cale are still standing, ready to be harvest from now, till January. For other stuff it’s way to cold.

2 Likes

Kale is actually better tasting after the first frost!

While window shopping with my Berlin friend, we were in a kitchenwares store and I happened to see the funniest little thing:

It makes stripping the center rib in kale (and other green leafy veggies, and herbs) so easy that I’m cooking with them a lot more. Who knew? :smiley:

4 Likes

We had that past night. Even de windows at the roof where frozen.
Time to get the dahlias out. Next weekend.

Nice, friendly looking tool. Makes me smile.
The things you learn from the Internet. :wink:

3 Likes

In the ground today (Zone 8b-ish)

… I planted bokchoy, lacinato kale, red Russian kale, red cabbage, spinach, mustard, rainbow chard, applemint, peppermint, Mexican marigold and leeks as starts (transplants). The strongly-scented plants are mixed in with the leafy greens to make it harder for bugs that like to eat cabbage-family (Brassica spp) plants.

Interplanted peas (English, snow) in between the rows to drive the nitrogen into the rootzones of the greens. Garlic (already in the ground in a lot of places in my garden) is good at being an insect and armadillo barrier plant, so it’s basically around the perimeter of the vegetable patch. Deer here seldom eat it.

Soil out here in Hays County, Texas, is very hard and heavy, so no luck with carrots, not even Danvers. I have been using daikon radish to break up the hardpan. Have not had a lot of luck with broccoli or cauliflower out here also.

ETA: fixed broken image.

6 Likes

Slugs did me in, hardcore, this year, and then the morning glories went KRAZY over everything else, so while I was admiring the HUGE black/yellow spider on the garage wall, the garden was being eaten and the remnants covered.

It’ll be too cold up here for anything other than the hardiest soon, so I really need to pull up everything and cover it with something organic, a mulch-bed of sorts, although that might get expensive as there’s quite a bit to cover.

I’m also considering building a small indoor growing area for fresh herbs through the winter. The bee balm is hardy enough, but the other stuff, oregano, thyme, basil, can’t pull through our cold temps, so it’d be nice to have something fresh throughout the year.

4 Likes

Rosemary does excellent indoors over the winter up here in Zone 5. I need to bring our pot in tonight, we’re flirting with frost every night this week. I suppose I’ll have to go grab those few straggling tomatoes, too, even though I’m really quite over tomatoes for the year.

3 Likes

I urgently need to buy some potting soil - the cuttings I took rooted weeks ago, and now languish in their watery prison.

I was pricing out potting soil and the general scheme seems to be that at each size increment, you pay twice as much for a bag that’s four times bigger - my impulse to optimize soil per dollar is going to leave me needing to refinance my mortgage for a bag of promix big enough to cover Greenland

3 Likes

It was a very good slug year, don’t you think?
Seems nearly not only a North Europe thingy (most slugs per square km ever in Belgium), but at more places.
Slugs, slugs, slugs, extrême drought. For me this year.

2 Likes

A friend living out on the coast had basically the same thing to say: nowhere near enough rain and too many slugs.

Ever try this method:

Here’s a helpful image I made for anyone needing to ID a slug:

1 Like