GE dumps century-old railroad division on Wabtec, almost 2,000 factory workers strike

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/26/ge-dumps-century-old-railroad.html

GE Transportation workers were told after merger their new employer “wants to turn this into an Amazon warehouse,” says labor union.

6 Likes

comlabor2-4ac8e584e1ccbaf943eb15b761e9f6c2a40fc231

29 Likes

Solid Trump voter country.

29 Likes

It didn’t used to be. It used to be solid blue, until GE started moving production to a “right to work” state (Texas). Then the lying repubs came in and promised them the world.

15 Likes

Lots and lots of older White guys… Government allows these pressures on unions, allows companies to get away with terrible things… then the first brown fella to show up for temp work “Immigrants have stolen our jobs!”

5 Likes

Hey, Wabtec, don’t take it personally. They were already on strike when you got there.

1 Like

GE already moved locomotive manufacturing to Texas, leaving R&D and component production in Erie.

6 Likes

looks like a canary test to see if unions are still in decline or on the rise

4 Likes

Sounds like IBM when I got there (as one of the latter), but with no union(s). That’s back when they used to actually make things (besides mainframes).

5 Likes

There is power in a union.

5 Likes

Watch for: experienced workers train new hires, afterward get laid off.

6 Likes

This is local news for me - quite a few members of my wife’s family have worked for GE and my in-laws’ house sits right near the test track where they run the completed locomotives up and down for testing and calibration. Our local alt paper has a bit about the current strike and labor history at the Erie plant.

1 Like

Strike? Call in the Pinkertons! Break the commie strike or their bones!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.