Gendered objectification

What about the super-hot Latin couple, though?

Oh, I totally grok it;

I love Jensen’s Ackles face and acting, but I’m not actually sexually attracted to him.

I just know aesthetic beauty when I see it…

:wink:

16 Likes

Ok, I don’t watch much T.V. as I usually play ffxi so I haven’t seen most of these. I am really glad I didn’t log in tonight!

18 Likes

That SCENE in Sense8 just following this one … sputter, sputter.

12 Likes

I love that they are super duper gay, but they also love Daniela. Every time Lito addresses them as “hey family” I squee.

If I were any character, I’m Lito. Brilliant and suave when performing, total goober the other 90% of the time.

14 Likes

Right?

I can’t wait until they finally air the new season.

9 Likes

Oh and the articles!!!

Those were excellent too, lol.

13 Likes

I mean, I’m not gonna kick any of them out my bed for eating crackers… but give me lovely hairy welsh vampire any day…

18 Likes

SEASON TWO CAME OUT FRIDAY!!!

I already binged it, it’s spec-fucking-tacular.

9 Likes

Also… do men know about … forearms?
(literally one of my first crushes in school was on a boy in art class, solely based on his forearms)

17 Likes

In all seriousness, it’s not about tit for tat. Women got the tit covered. It’s about recognizing that sexuality and arousal and desire are not one thing. It’s a spectrum. It’s a multitude. It’s about more of this: We get things like “Supernatural” or that wedding episode from “Outlander” or even the most recent episode of “The Handmaid’s Tale” where she reclaims her own agency and climbs on top and the camera follows her point of view.

22 Likes

Oh, good one! And great example for this thread. There was the aesthetic thing happening, of course, but there were also the key character points that made it clear he really was old enough to remember the Great War (as opposed to some hipster phony vampire faking it). The part where he loaned the Laurel and Hardy DVD (or so he thought) to the little boy broke my heart.

Which goes back to the James Gunn point.

12 Likes

I’m more about the shoulders. Broad shoulders I can rest my head on, mmmm.

11 Likes

Being Human, UK version?

I’ll see your Aidan Turner and raise you one Aidan Waite:

I want to lick his chiseled facial structure…

10 Likes

Ok but like Idris Elba isn’t fair… cuz he’s literally a god blessing us by being on earth during our life time.

22 Likes

Right? No matter what body part you like, he’s got it covered.

12 Likes

Oh, Idris is always on the list of men who look so good, it hurts…

18 Likes

This is basically the sexiest headline I’ve ever seen in my life:

15 Likes

For sure, and there are so many more facets and consequences than just recognizing sexuality and arousal, or seeing women with agency in entertainment. The unbalanced objectification between the sexes has real effects on the way we see ourselves and how we are seen, as well as our behavior. I came across this the other day:

It’s nowhere near as well written as the Supernatural article, but it did have an interesting description of what it’s like to be stared at the way women are in public.

17 Likes

Maybe if we would just smile more …

16 Likes

I believe it was from Cosmopolitan magazine.
/pedant

8 Likes