Gene Wilder dies, at 83

I was thinking recently of the western he made with Harrison Ford, “The Frisco Kid”, a typical buddy cowboy flick following the adventures of a gunslinger and . . . a rabbi. I hadn’t seen it since I was a kid and had a sudden curiosity to see it again, now doubly so.

14 Likes

Just sad.

9 Likes

RIP. Gene was a huge part of my childhood in the late 70’s early 80’s. All those movies he made with Richard Pryor better be on Netflix Canada by this weekend or I’m cancelling my subscription.

12 Likes

Wonkavated.

16 Likes

“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.”

16 Likes

amazing amazing man…one of my all time favorite actors.

11 Likes

It’s hard to measure how much joy this man brought to my dismal life through his films. Obviously the trifecta of Mel Brooks’ movies, “The Producers”, “Blazing Saddles”, and “Young Frankenstein”, but also “Silver Streak” and “Stir Crazy” (with Richard Pryor!), and the movie he’s most famous for “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”, a movie I had seen so many times as a kid and never took seriously, until I saw it as an adult and was blown away at how beautiful and uplifting it was.

14 Likes

It’s crazy, but I really thought he’d carry on forever as the characters I remembered from my childhood…even seeing a modern pic of him was a bit shocking.

And now he’s dead. Wow.

6 Likes

I tried that with 2015. 2016 has been much worse.

5 Likes

12 Likes

An amazing actor, who seemed to connect with every other actor he worked with and made them better for it onscreen. Perfect comic timing. He’ll be missed more than most.

7 Likes

As an aside, in the header group shot from Willy Wonka, the second Oompa-Loompa from the right in the back row is Angelo Muscat, who also played the iconic little butler in “The Prisoner”…

6 Likes

Well, bummer. He gave me a lot of enjoyment and pleasure. But then again, I hope that I hit at least 83 before I give up corporeal existence.

7 Likes

I’m excited by your bold approach to the absolutely crappy year problem!

4 Likes

I like your idea of canceling 2016 so much, here’s a new thread where it’s already 2017.

5 Likes

Don’t forget “Frisco Kid”.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.