General Moderation Topic

Suggestion: when you flag, it turns into a PM to the moderator(s). Just respond to the PM with the text that you realized the flag was in error.

8 Likes

Are all flags reviewed?

(I seem to recall reading that it takes a couple—or a few?—flags before it triggers the post being reviewed by a mod, and if no one else flags the post, the flag would eventually expire and be automatically dismissed. Or is that old info and no longer true? If it ever was true—maybe I dreamt it…)

7 Likes

That’s correct, but in this case the flag hid the post. When a post is hidden, those flags always go up for review.

12 Likes

User jose has been ejected from the BBS for arguing that those who assault Women and are not convicted are instead victims of character assassination instead.

35 Likes

That’s pretty much exactly what “everything else” is, as a flag type…

3 Likes

While we understand that some of the choices Boing Boing must make to keep the lights on are not for everyone, and while we do offer dedicated topics to provide constructive criticism or ask questions about moderation or content (including this very spot here!), it should be clear that we are not going to provide a space to denigrate the site or its’ Authors.

If you aren’t a fan, you are welcome to go elsewhere.

Don’t be rude here and expect to remain a welcome mutant.

Thanks.

23 Likes

User diebriandie has been banned for… I’m not sure what to call it exactly… deciding to flame out using memes? Regression to the mindset of a four-year-old? Troll the entire BBS with memes for days?

How about we go with “Made it clear that positive contributions were no longer in the cards for this user.”

25 Likes

Thank U GIF by chuber channel

16 Likes

Diebriandie huh?

22 Likes

Question/suggestion:

When a moderator has determined that a discussion thread has gone off the rails and deems it necessary to delete multiple posts from several contributors, might it also be appropriate for the moderator to leave a brief note acknowledging this action and explaining what led to it, or what specific behavior needs to be avoided in the future?

2 Likes

I do that very often as a best-effort attempt where it’s appropriate to do so. I don’t do it for cases of blatant trolling or bigotry because the reason should be self-evident in those cases. Hopefully the upcoming change to Discourse where it will let folks who have posts deleted because they were responses to a moderated post will help in this regard. as well.

16 Likes

davidcjonesvt has been given a timeout for throwing verbal abuse insults around. Debate the position, don’t attack the person.

10 Likes

The above suspension has been reversed, as it was clear upon review that I took the post out of context and misattributed the statements being made. Apologies to davidjonesvt for the error. All the posts involved (and replies) have been restored.

This was, as it turns out, a real-life version of:

33 Likes

Now you seriously got me interested. As an non-native speaker as well as someone who feels prone to misunderstanding fellow mutants.

ETA: thanks, @gatto, for the punctual punctuation.

4 Likes

Can I get some clarification on this please.

In a thread about a punk band charging different prices for vaccinated and un-vaccinated people I replied to a comment about vaccine passports coming soon to the rescue with:

This will just raise the fake passport business profits by orders of magnitude.

Fake passport online?

The link is to an article in a website of Fraud Examiners about how easy it is to get fake passports in the drakweb.

Two users complained that it was off topic. Which seems a bit odd to me. They then flagged it into hiding and then an admin deleted my post as “SPAM”. I fail to understand how this could be interpreted as off topic much less a spam ad. Any clarification on what I’m missing is appreciated:

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE

Hello,

This is an automated message from Boing Boing BBS to let you know that your post was removed.

Your post was flagged as spam : the community feels it is an advertisement, something that is overly promotional in nature instead of being useful or relevant to the topic as expected.

This post was flagged by the community and a staff member opted to remove it.

Click to expand removed post

This will just raise the fake passport business profits by orders of magnitude.

https://www.fraud-magazine.com/article.aspx?id=4294988663

Please review our community guidelines for details.

A 2015 article about fake passports has little to do with the COVID pandemic, let alone the topic of a punk band charging different rates for vaccinated people.

You are welcome to start your own topic about vaccine passports affecting the sale of fake nationality passports (or, I’m guessing, the idea of fake vaccine passports?) if you wish, but that has nothing to do with the original topic of the Boing Boing post.

11 Likes

Gotcha. To clarify, I was replying to this post in that thread so it was in the context of vaccine passports not travel passports. I assumed other users could make the leap but I’ll look for an article about vaccine passports being forged instead:

1 Like

Again, maybe start your own thread rather than derailing an existing one.

Thanks.

12 Likes

10 Likes

user @Lanthade has been granted a two week timeout for being rude while offering a correction that would have been appreciated had the user been correct.

I would like to point out that one of the main reasons I check the BBS is to get corrections when I make a mistake – and boy do I – but more and more it seems folks feel offering a correction should be done like an asshole.

Please do not fail to be cool.

So, again, the help is really appreciated but if we have to take it with a slap in the face we’ll ask you to leave.

13 Likes