General Moderation Topic

Whether it’s masks or vaccines or gun control laws or whatever, I am so sick of hearing people say, “X has this downside; therefore, X is a horrible idea.”

They always seems to ignore the downsides of not having X and pretend that we live in a world where downsides can somehow be wholly avoided. If you want to talk about the downsides of doing something, then you also have to acknowledge the downsides of not doing it.

27 Likes

It’s a variation of the Nirvana Fallacy, a bad-faith tactic beloved of ammosexuals: if something isn’t 100% effective we shouldn’t do it at all.

27 Likes

And adverse consequences of not doing something don’t count. Ever. :man_facepalming:

24 Likes

User ■■■■■ has been banned for blanketing the site with malicious, frivolous flags on the same users over and over going back months.

(@Mindysan33 - to your question - live demonstration of why there are flag limits, apparently!)

32 Likes

Makes sense!

Keanu Reeves Thumbs Up GIF by Lionsgate

17 Likes

User beerocker has been banned for offtopic peddling of Ivermectin woo.

32 Likes

User Noddy93 has been banned for deciding to mix posts about their disappointment with Boing Boing and the members of the BBS with rape jokes.

Jamie Lee Curtis Make Good Choices GIF

24 Likes

Several more folks were also banned for attempting to derail posts with the same tactics. At this point, and given the number of “old” accounts doing this, I am fairly certain this is an organized campaign to leverage Boing Boing’s Whuffie to spread misinformation, and will not be celebrating each troll as we remove them.

31 Likes

Might not be a bad idea to kick everyone into a password reset or similar “reverification” process.

This sounds to me like people have bought a bunch of accounts and are botting.

6 Likes

May their names be stricken from the record of history like a common ■■■■■.

8 Likes

Wat? BBS accounts are somehow for sale?

12 Likes

Everything with an email login and a commonly used password are for sale.

9 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Wh… Whuffie?

That reminds me of another favorite tactic of spammers and such: post a few content-free “hey, nice post!” posts from a brand-new account.

10 Likes

Like we don’t know that game.

11 Likes

I’d be very curious to know the stats of how many people have enabled two factor. :thinking:

It’s the least you can do! Well, other than a super strong random password courtesy of a password manager.

4 Likes

I wonder how many people know that 2FA is available here?

13 Likes

This already happens for any account idle for over a year. You have to verify access to the email address on file.

14 Likes

It seems to me like a simple case of people who made accounts years ago and then almost never used them until they realized they had something “REALLY IMPORTANT YOU GUYS” to tell everyone.

1 Like

Contrary to apparent popular belief, ‘submarine’ accounts which suddenly get resuscitated after months or even years of laying dormant are just as suspect as brand new accounts with contentless comments, perhaps more so.

28 Likes