General Moderation Topic

That was my point. While you may feel you have complete objectivity…you are person, not a machine. It’s not an impossible leap for them to attack you and the other mods.

4 Likes

I think that it’s a wonderful thing that Ken and Rob and others on the board actually participate in discussions with us! It makes topics that much better. And personally, I’ve never had a problem distinguishing casual comments from Word of Mod actions.

For me, it boils down to whether or not posters are willing to participate in good faith and behave respectfully. I’ve been bummed at having comments deleted, but that’s part of the game here. And if I have a question about it, I can always PM and ask politely. When somebody comes on and makes rude and insulting comments about flagging or deletions, well, “the rude will be eaten first.” There’s no excuse for it.

16 Likes

But it certainly is a dumb-ass one, which will not lead to any good outcome.

Like I said, most of us get modded sooner or later; and yet we still don’t pitch a fit about it like spoiled-ass little children.

We suck it up and move on.

15 Likes

Yeah this. Every time I have had something eaten it was both fair and me typing before engaging my brain fully so better off not leaving that idiocy out there for the world to see.

11 Likes

still, note the context here-- this is in regards to comments hidden by community flags. targeting the mod team for the actions of the community, with or without the profanity, makes no sense.

8 Likes

14 posts were split to a new topic: Topics set to auto-close via flagging keep getting opened and closed over and over?

The prior suspension did not appear to change the behaviour of this user, and literally all of their recent posts have derailed the conversations they were posted in. Having contrary viewpoints is fine, and we will do our best to protect posters who may not agree with the majority here, and their right to reasoned opinion. But when every post in every topic from a user falls into this category, it becomes clear that one is being contrarian for the purpose of driving trollies the userbase. And no one has time for that.

As such, the user has been asked not to return.

20 Likes

that last exchange left me shaking my head.

7 Likes

hawkd_sf has been given a timeout for levelling profanities at other users. Zero interest in that sort of behaviour here.

6 Likes

I’m not going to say what they were, but I think I discovered some automatically filtered keywords.

Not complaining, I can see why they’d be filtered for automoderation. Just tickled about it.

8 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Self-deprecating humidity

Certain posts are held for mod approval depending on content. We don’t “filter” in the sense that “you are not allowed to use these words”. However, the terms in question are most often used in derogatory or inappropriate posts that go against our guidelines by new users, so we hold those posts for moderation until a mod can confirm that the use case is appropriate.

The list is not long, and is subject to change at any time based on the types of disruptive comments we deal with. Mods approve valid uses as quickly as possible.

No one needs to see that. :wink:

10 Likes

That’s what I meant by “filter” but I appreciate the explanation and clarification anyway. Like I said, I totally understand. I just felt compelled to have a giggle at the trollies who’ve been ensnared by this.

tenor%20(8)

14 Likes

Spamtasticus has been asked not to return after, again, crying foul when the community decides one of their posts is inappropriate and incorrectly assumes moderators are taking unilateral action.

Not that we don’t do that of course, but the in the vast majority of cases, we are alerted to issues by flags, not by trying to keep up with reading every post.

Which, again, I’ll remind everyone - complaining that “post X was moderated but post-Y was not”, when you didn’t bother to flag post-Y is not going to be a persuasive argument. If you have an issue with a post, flag it.

15 Likes

I cleared posts complaining about being rickrolled from a thread where they were quite obviously intentionally rickrolled. It is a good thread discussing the intent of the post beyond the obvious rickrolling of folks. Constant whinging about being rickrolled is the internet.

17 Likes

What, no “link” to the post?

4 Likes

Disappointment is Boing Boing’s bread and butter.

11 Likes

FYI…the autoplay was particularly devious on your part.

6 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Autoplay onebox issues

@justinrunia anonymized at user request.

5 Likes