General Moderation Topic

Spamtasticus has been asked not to return after, again, crying foul when the community decides one of their posts is inappropriate and incorrectly assumes moderators are taking unilateral action.

Not that we don’t do that of course, but the in the vast majority of cases, we are alerted to issues by flags, not by trying to keep up with reading every post.

Which, again, I’ll remind everyone - complaining that “post X was moderated but post-Y was not”, when you didn’t bother to flag post-Y is not going to be a persuasive argument. If you have an issue with a post, flag it.

15 Likes

I cleared posts complaining about being rickrolled from a thread where they were quite obviously intentionally rickrolled. It is a good thread discussing the intent of the post beyond the obvious rickrolling of folks. Constant whinging about being rickrolled is the internet.

17 Likes

What, no “link” to the post?

4 Likes

Disappointment is Boing Boing’s bread and butter.

11 Likes

FYI…the autoplay was particularly devious on your part.

6 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Autoplay onebox issues

@justinrunia anonymized at user request.

5 Likes

@fuzz_cube has been asked not to return, after derailing a topic then getting into offtopic judgements on responses, after being expressly told not to engage in that behaviour by the mod team in the past.

I will additionally point out that namecalling is against the community guidelines on either side, as several users attempted to do in this case. Flag posts. Engaging users who are violating our guidelines makes significantly more work for the mod team, horribly derails topics, losing substantive responses as collateral damage, and makes no one want to read the topic in question.

Thank you.

15 Likes

I will publicly acknowledge I was completely wrong there to engage with content-free posts, even if it was funny.

You make all the sense.

14 Likes

Every time you reply, a GRUE gets his ₽₽₽₽.

Is it appropriate to also flag troll responses?

2 Likes

Absolutely appropriate. Such posts often derail the topic as much as the original post did, which is precisely the reason we ask folks to flag and not engage.

7 Likes

digitalArtform anonymized at user request.

3 Likes

SamWinston has been given two weeks to reconsider suggesting that Boing Boing is taking a stance against vaccination.

9 Likes

Phanatic has been given a brief timeout to read and reflect on the lengthy mod note posted in the topic they chose to attack the community in.

8 Likes

shocked-turtle

14 Likes

Leopardseal has been given a brief timeout. We don’t post mod notes in topics ”just for fun”.

7 Likes

User _Ash anonymized at user request.

6 Likes

Well, dang.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Funny how some of these brand-new users know how to ask to be anonymised, which is a fairly obscure feature.

8 Likes