General Moderation Topic

Sorry, off topic, but . . . that guy’s a genuine hero!

15 Likes

I needed an excuse to use this gif. It’s my new fave!!!

8 Likes

tinoesroho has been given a timeout for attacking other users, again, after being caustioned against that behaviour for over a year. Seriously, don’t do that. If you disagree with someone debate the position, do not attack the person.

If you find yourself the target of such behaviour, flag the post, do not respond. We work hard to respond swiftly against any posts or posters that target members here.

8 Likes

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
George Orwell

3 Likes

8 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Watched words

Look, I’m talking about a particular user who I liked, and who has been banned for a reason that seems ridiculous to me, and all I can do to show why I think this is ridiculous is pointing at his most liked posts, and you can look into his posts and if you then still think he’s a bot or something, then we can continue this line of discussion, but there’s really no point because you won’t.

The user wasn’t banned because he was a bot. He was banned because snarking at users doesn’t contribute to the conversational tone Boing Boing wishes to have for the BBS.

You are more than welcome to invite that snark to your own community if you so choose.

7 Likes

… and these snarky comments were deleted, which is why I don’t get the whole picture?

Indeed. As is the case with most moderated comments.

8 Likes

Ok thanks for clearing that up. It looks weird when you don’t know that.

1 Like

What about attack hugs? Are those allowed?

Tumblr Blog

10 Likes

oh dear God I hope not

1 Like

I wasn’t saying they were a bot. I was saying using likes as a metric to decide who is banned will lead to gaming the like system. Bots were just an example of how totals could be inflated.

giphy

14 Likes

There are several former posters, many named upthread, whose humor and posts I generally liked and miss. I think they contributed in a positive manner to the forum. However, my understanding is that in almost all of the cases the ban was from willfully refusing to adhere to posting standards even after being reminded of them. Certainly the people who operate a forum like this, especially one that is free for us to use, have the right to do that. Moreover, pushing against the rules even after being asked not to is graduating from being snarky to being an ass.

17 Likes

Account unshaved_weirdo anonymized at user request.

9 Likes

User teodoroberto anonymized at user request.

2 Likes

User anansi133 put on timeout for offering valued criticism in a manner unbecoming a user of our BBS.

2 Likes

User rp1588 asked not to return after confusing moderation because of an idea and moderation for being a dick, then doubling down and demanding their right to continued asshat-ery.

17 Likes