General Moderation Topic

That’s a feature, not a bug. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Or just never ending. Which it is, until he finds something better to do.

11 Likes

I can’t stop just looking at it.

19 Likes

User JimBob anonymized at user request.

16 Likes

User TwoGunGunnar asked not to return after declaring our content full of ”bitterness and dishonesty” and lamenting how they knew coming here would show them that fact.

We have, thusly, assisted in ensuring they no longer need to make that laborious trek to the bbs to prove to themselves how worthless our content is, then feel compelled to tell us about it.

We wish them all the best in tracking down the vast swaths of the Internet less full of bitterness and dishonesty (and, presumably, fake news) than we are.

37 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: OUR bitterness and dishonesty!

Dorgar and bytheway have both been given timeouts in the penalty box for unsportsmanlike conduct. They are welcome back should they choose to remember that the rude will be eaten first and act accordingly in the future.

16 Likes

Which BBS policy does critiquing the site’s content violate, Oren? I can appreciate that being particularly crass may be inappropriate (yeah yeah I’ve been guilty of that) but is general critique allowed or not? I see people critiquing posts regularly, and even being somewhat harsh with regards to one of the head honcho’s overall tone. Genuinely asking here.

Taking issue with a post is fine. I mean, that’s what a comment section is for, the good and the bad.

Posting offtopic barbs at the authors or content repeatedly that has nothing to do with a post isn’t about contributing anything positive or constructive.

Case in point: user menfin has been removed from the site for posting offtopic insults at an Author. If your intention is to come here just to insult your hosts, then no, we are not going to entertain that.

Multiple meta topics critiquing various aspects of Boing Boing remain open. They are constructive discussions that 1) aren’t there just to insult and 2) aren’t tossed in random posts as an attempt to derail.

32 Likes

Continuing the thread that the rude will be eaten first, cre8love4all has been given a brief timeout for posting contentless, intentionally inflammatory posts only tangentially related to the subject at hand, clearly intended to provoke inflammatory, offtopic responses in return.

Commonly known in some circles as “trolling”, if that wasn’t obvious. :wink:

21 Likes

User acrostic anonymized at user request.

8 Likes

Oh, the irony.

16 Likes

I guess mods are swift I didn’t recognize the name… then again I mostly recognize avatars

3 Likes

Love’s flip-side.

5 Likes

User p1tj3 has similarly been asked not to return as above. See: TwoGunGunnar.

Worry not, however - I hear there are entire sites out there specifically devoted to shitposting. I’m sure they will find a new home that will welcome them quickly and with little effort.

Just not here.

22 Likes

The “3 days later” ui element really helps with the narrative here, I hadn’t been in this thread a bit and the framing made me chuckle

5 Likes

User Gestalt has been asked not to return.

The parallels to another classic trolley are clear, so rather than repeat myself, I will point you to my earlier comment about a similar situation:

30 Likes

That took shockingly longer than I expected.

8 Likes

Despite Gestalt thinking they were fooling everyone, I (and I’m sure you and others) figured out they were acting in bad faith and trying to probe the community, moderation, and platform for weaknesses within five or so comments. However, we are not the moderators, who have to extend a certain amount of benefit of the doubt to new users like this (along with some rope to hang themselves).

The site is continually improving in regard to combatting tr0lls. From what I can see, the relatively new TL4 Leaders made the difference here. Keep in mind that it took years for the above-mentioned white supremacist tr0ll Max_Blancke to get perma-banned, and several months for the bigoted ethnostate fan JimJim to get banned. This AynCap chump was banned after a little over four weeks.

28 Likes

22 Likes