General Moderation Topic

User danegeld anonymized at user request.

6 Likes

User edamame anonymized at user request.

8 Likes

User Stephen_Hess asked not to return after indicating their intention to ignore our community guidelines, mocking members of the community for following them, and forgetting rule #1 of the civilized internet: Donā€™t be a dick.

19 Likes

Can someone address the ā€œTrump hospitalized with Covid symptomsā€ thread? An off-topic discussion of the Electoral College has completely taken over. It would be good to move it to a different thread.

13 Likes

Done! If I missed any relevant posts, please let me know and Iā€™ll fix it. :wink: :smiley:

18 Likes

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Thanks, there are some interesting points in it, but it crowded out discussion of the topic at hand.

4 Likes

User LDoBe has been given a short timeout for directly attacking other users.

User Howiemoticon has been asked not to return.

To be completely honest, Iā€™m not certain if there was malicious intent from this user, or if instead the drive to have their comments be understood above all else led to their behaviour, but a quick review of their posts showed that in five separate topics, their confusing reply ended up massively derailing the topic itself with pedantic digression and entirely off-topic tangents.

Iā€™m still not entirely sure what the deal was here, and remain confused. But regardless of intent, the effect of this user was clear - significant repeated off-topic derailing of the topics they decided to post in, which isnā€™t healthy for the BBS as a whole.

Thanks.

23 Likes

That may have been his intent. :neutral_face:

10 Likes

Brandoliniā€™s Law, baby. Brandoliniā€™s Law.

(Another good TL;DR version of that is ā€œany person who regularly creates a ton of work for staff / mods / regulars has gotta goā€ which I wholeheartedly agree with.)

11 Likes

Quick (non-urgent) query for BB mods:

Iā€™ve commented many times on blog posts in the last few months yet twice Iā€™ve received ā€œawaiting approvalā€ messages for my comments.

I canā€™t see an obvious pattern why (I did recently invite a member to flag a well-intentioned comment of mine when they seemed pretty upset by it) and I have looked but canā€™t find any explanation on site.

Anything I can do to learn why or how to mitigate this?

The whole point of the algorithm is to not have an obvious pattern to mitigate. That way users just have to focus on genuinely trying to not be assholes, and if youā€™re convinced that your post is unfairly held then you can do what I do, which is wait patiently until itā€™s cleared.

8 Likes

In my experience, itā€™s usually because you (accidentally? ironically?) hit one of the Watched Words that indicates a potentially problematic post.

11 Likes

Pro-tip: never use the word Duluth, just say ā€œthe D-placeā€. The right people will know that you mean.

19 Likes

Using the word ā€œtrollā€ without a work-around will cause your comment to be held for approval.

Iā€™m not certain what else is a watch word; ā€œmoistā€ will usually just end up looking like this: ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 

20 Likes

I suppose one could employ the m-word by simply cutting to the chase and typing ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  instead.

Ex: The cake was ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and delicious. The clouds were ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ure-laden. Your skin looks fantastic; what kind of ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– urizer do you use? :slightly_smiling_face:

20 Likes

Wait, what? Last week it was Minneapolis, this week itā€™s Duluth? What do they have against Minnesota?

15 Likes

You said it! Arghhhā€¦

17 Likes

The D-place and both M-places in one post! Youā€™ll be held for moderation until 2021!

10 Likes