General Moderation Topic

User bob_brinkman has been removed for directly attacking others in private messages.

As a reminder, PMs are still a part of the BBS and still subject to our guidelines. Many people also consider PMs to be more intimate an environment, and harassment within them far more personal. As a result, we take such harassment seriously. Do not do this, and do flag others should they do this to you.

Thanks.

22 Likes

Brinkmanship is always risky.

17 Likes

User randomdude has been given a brief timeout for posting offtopic replies repeatedly in posts then attempting to repost them when they are removed.

If you want to have a meta-discussion about something, start your own topic, or use one of the existing meta topics. Don’t derail other topics to do so.

14 Likes

User quasimodo has been given a timeout for posting incendiary responses in political topics. Expressing opinions is one thing, but expressing them in ways carefully crafted to derail conversations becomes an obvious tactic upon review of their posting history. Perhaps post-election-season they will return with a more constructive demeanour.

18 Likes

User quori anonymized at user request.

6 Likes

User rudiv anonymized at user request.

7 Likes

User Edgar_Carpenter has been asked not to return after suggesting that sterilizing 85% of the planet / eugenics was the path to nirvana.

24 Likes

Good riddance.

20 Likes

I’ve seen posts pop up just as I was finishing off a thread, or even seen the words change out from under me if someone edited their post.

1 Like

Presumably the intended meaning was something less wholesome than “cleaning them all very thoroughly”?

5 Likes

User Desultory Polemic asked not to return after taking a verbal dump all over women (and mongooses) in about the most misogynistic manner possible.

17 Likes

Mongeese? :man_shrugging:

22 Likes

tenor (3)

21 Likes

Mongi?
We need a new thread…

18 Likes

I vote “mongeese” for whatever that’s worth! (Exactly nothing, but I’m cute!)

18 Likes

Certainly not Mongeeses.

17 Likes

It’s hilarious how, out of all that melee, the one constant is that we are still not sure of the correct plural tense of ‘mongoose.’

Man, I fluv this site…

24 Likes

Oh hell no! A double plural? What are you trying to do, woman?! Oh, the humanity!

13 Likes

so has the oed.

Inflections: Plural mongooses , ( irregular ) mongeese , ( irregular ) mongoose , ( irregular ) mongooze .

first mention is from 1673

1673 G. Aungier Let. 29 Sept. in C. Fawcett Eng. Factories in India (1936) I. 83 [My house is] miserably afflicted with rats so great that a mongoose or our cats will not meddle with them.

9 Likes

31 Likes