General Moderation Topic

User ludd has been suspended until the end of time. The specific instance was one of a comment demonstrating only that the user failed to read the post. The users history of deleted posts and suspensions screams that they should find another forum.

4 Likes

User cosmotic felt the need to post - multiple times - about how boring the content of Boing Boing was. We donā€™t want them to be trapped somewhere they donā€™t want to be, so we have provided them with a vacation to free themselves from their boredom and monotony. If they choose to return, hopefully it will be with a newfound interest in this community of Happy Mutants after their time away.

22 Likes

Maybe they were on the wrong site?

http://www.boringboring.net/

12 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

11 Likes

cdhawke has been banned for directly attacking another user.

Debate positions all you want, but when you go after other members, your time here is done.

22 Likes

hnwombat has been given a timeout for repeatedly trying to rule-lawyer the right to ignore our guidelines. Then decided to sealion over the request to cease doing so and remain civil, Despite being given their own topic to have the discussion they wanted.

Unfortunately, thatā€™s typical behaviour that makes it clear that they wanted to be the center of the conversation where people would read it, not that they actually wanted to discuss the topic in question with other community members.

16 Likes

A question/comment really, not a gripe. I noticed a pretty brand new account holder reached Regular level after only about six weeks and a couple of dozen posts.

Seems kinda quick?

8 Likes

Itā€™s programmatic, based on how much you read and how often you visit, and I think itā€™s a rolling 100-day average. So if youā€™re here for 50 days straight, read prolifically, and occasionally post (and donā€™t get flagged), you will get regular status.

18 Likes

Guess I gotta read more BBS to get that tasty, tasty badgeā€¦

9 Likes

Well, that is certainly boringā€¦

10 Likes

Man, I gotta get crackinā€™.

5 Likes
7 Likes

User jgs has been given a timeout for taking over a topic and posting a great many times in it, only to eventually derail it, be flagged for it, then complain about the flagging and protest by deleting their very many posts in protest.

A friendly reminder that topics posted are very likely not about you, and taking actions that disrupt the entire community reading those topics is a great way to quickly become unwelcome.

19 Likes

Well that didnā€™t take long.

Shane_A_Leslie has also been given a timeout for doing the exact same thing as above.

16 Likes

something something comes in threes? mike_mountain is the next user to get a timeout for this behaviour, this time posting 50% of the responses in a story about US politics telling the rest of the mutants there to abandon ship.

Look, I get the sentiment, itā€™ll be a good 5 years before I am eligible to vote in the US. That doesnā€™t mean I waltz into conversations telling people not to try. But even if you feel the need to do that, taking over the conversation and posting half the total replies just to make it clear you think everyone is doomed is the opposite of a constructive conversation. Jeez.

24 Likes

rule of threes

9 Likes

Paul_Loften has been given a timeout for coming back from a six-year hiatus only to attempt to ā€œboth-sidesā€ a discussion, then devolving to the point of lobbing insults at other users.

I get (and appreciate!) that there are topics that are important to some of us. Thatā€™s not a license to sealion and insult others. Debate is healthy and welcome. If you instead come here to do battle with our Mutants and call them names for disagreeing with you, this is not the place for you.

16 Likes

The value you bring to BBS is more important than degree of attendance. :blush:

9 Likes

Soā€¦ different from middle school, then.

Thank goodness!

14 Likes

This discussion got me curious. Is the metric for ā€œreadingā€ dependent on where you come from? That is, if you come to BBS from https://bbs.boingboing.net/new, then go to the replies/comments, and then to the articles from the replies/comments, rather than from the front page to the articles, is the metric counted differently?

2 Likes