"Generation Gap": Which Era Do YOU Fall Into?

The “List of Generations Chart” leaves so much out.

The Baby Boomers section could list “Graduated high school in a growing economy with cheap university costs and cheap housing”, while Generation Y would list “Graduated high school in an economic mess, hyper-inflated university costs and expensive housing.”

The Baby Boomers section could list “The country piled up massive debt to keep them happy”, while for Generation Y it would list "Not only did they not get the Baby Boomers’ spending, but they have to pay off the debts piled up to keep the Baby Boomers happy.

It’s not all bad for Gen Y though. The low interest rates for most of the last decade have been essentially a tax on the Baby Boomers. Low rates stimulate the economy helping the younger generation entering the work force, but it means that older folks’ savings and investment funds have been collecting almost no interest.

The older generation of retirees wanting to downsize into smaller houses and apartments depend on university graduates with university graduate incomes to buy their houses. But with Gen Y’ers graduating with debt for life AND poor prospects of “university graduate incomes”, they won’t be able to afford those houses.

1 Like

#notallxers

3 Likes

LOL - true, we do span a range. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh hell well into and looking at the next decade soon.

5 Likes

Generation, schmeneration.

16 Likes

Okay, then.

2 Likes

Bah! This discussion asking for your age range is just the latest clever way to harvest marketable demographic data. Suckers!

15 Likes

I have no idea; I never heard of it either.

This was just the best chart I could find.

1 Like

I was so freaked out to learn that there was more than one Boomer!

16 Likes

11 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

4 Likes

Gee, tough crowd.

4 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

Did you know you can reply to multiple people in one comment? You can just put an “@” in the text and start typing and a list of names appears, this is handy when you want to reply to lots of people! :wink: Welcome to BBS!

9 Likes

Actually, I was just going for a generally benign question that pretty much anyone could answer for my very first post.

:slight_smile:

The only ‘angle’ here is to see what kind of “company” I’m now keeping as a member of this site.

Thus far the results have been fairly informative.

But if you want to believe my motives are more nefarious than that, then by all means, please do carry on…

*lolz

2 Likes

Now I do.

Thanks.

ETA:

Damn, that means now I have to learn all of your names too…

3 Likes