"Generation Gap": Which Era Do YOU Fall Into?

The only thing I enjoy about generation discussions is that I normally see a lot of self-hating millennials who don’t realize that millennials are starting to hit their mid 30s now. Ever since the term took off (a lot like ‘hipster’ lumping all counter cultures into one basket) complaining about millennials is just a litmus test to see who has turned curmudgeon with age, some at a very advanced rate. What’s worse is how many people younger than me that I’ve heard utter “make America great again” convinced there is a younger generation ruining the country as 29 year olds. Then again, I live in Texas.

4 Likes

@hello_friends

@emo_pinata

1 Like

And then that multi-reply to multiple people shows up…shows up…shows up…shows up… over again multiple times in the thread…(does that bother anyone else??)

(this comment probably belongs in a meta discussion)

Probably, but I don’t mind.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I couldn’t if I wanted to. I was born in Canada.

5 Likes

An age level between 10 and 31 in 1974? Okay, I guess they’re all the same.

1 Like

4 Likes

I was born somewhere between Gen X and Gen Y.

I am on the cusp of being a Millenial, but am not entitled enough.

I also didn’t get internet until I was 16, so I lose out on being a “Digital Native”.

I guess Gen X is sort of anti-establishment, but I am so anti-establishment that I’m against the established disestablishment.

I do enjoy snowboarding, but I’m afraid that might be because I’m more of a Yuppie than a Gen Xer. Or is boarding the new W.A.S.P.-y thing to do?

Whatever it is I am, I was doing it, like, way before the hipsters had even heard of it.

9 Likes

*lolz

No seriously, though; your response made me chuckle.

Thanks.

2 Likes

No, but they lived through some of the same events.

13 Likes

1 Like

Living at the same time is not the same as experiencing the same thing. I lived at the same time as those drafted into the Vietnam war, but I didn’t experience it in the least. There are plenty of people still in the workforce who experienced cheap university costs, an experience vastly different from university students today.

3 Likes

Absolutely correct. Which is why I didn’t put it in such terms. All it means is you were breathing when X happened.

2 Likes

So everyone from a babies to 105-year-olds are generation X when X happens.

1 Like

Right on the cusp of what could be argued as Gen-X and Gen-Y.
Some reason Gen-Y has been clumped with millenials all of a sudden.

2 Likes

I think she was addressing the sentiment that certain generations (Boomers) have “nothing in common with each other.”

I do not think she was trying to broaden the scope of what’s considered Gen X.

That being said, I had thought that this post topic would be rather innocuous, not remotely “controversial…”

3 Likes

Which generation someone born in the cusp years falls into usually is determined by the age of your parents.
If your parents were in their 30-40’s in 1980 you would probably fall more into the generalizations of a Gen-X. If your parents were a young couple your experiences would be a tad more similar to Gen-Y’s. Of course these are meant as broad generalizations.

2 Likes

I don’t see any “controversy” here. People can disagree - and discuss that disagreement - without “controversy.”

Well. Not on Fox News or CNN’s Crossfire. But still.

1 Like

Haven’t you learned anything about the internet yet?

3 Likes