"Generation Gap": Which Era Do YOU Fall Into?

In my experience, generally most people only see what they wish to see, but whatevs.

Perhaps I should have chosen a different adjective to accurately convey my sense of puzzlement at the apparent “tone” of some of the commentary.

I just figured that if people weren’t interested in the topic or even if they disagreed with the entire concept, then they would just not bother to comment.

Silly me.

ETA:

Well. Not on Fox News or CNN’s Crossfire. But still.

I wouldn’t know; I avoid both those networks and their productions like the plague,

3 Likes

GLIS!!!

Sadly, it seems as though I have not.

:smirk:

Call it “wishful thinking…”

3 Likes

Yet they ascribe “MTV generation” to people born 4 years after that shit went on the air.

6 Likes

Lets be brutally honest, has there ever been a “__ generation is known for ___”, which wasn’t complete overgeneralized nonsense?

3 Likes

Hope and high expectations is a good thing.

6 Likes

Probably not. This list strikes me as having been written by someone with a very poor grasp of fairly recent history.

1 Like

7 Likes

That’s your idea of “brutal?”

Gee, you must be such a sweetheart; that was nothing.

:slight_smile:

I’d argue that the same can be said of any label; once you start taking it as “the gospel” about the individuals its arbitrarily applied to, it becomes intellectual laziness… dare I say, the very groundwork for preconceived notions & unfair bias.

@IronEdithKidd:

This list strikes me as having been written by someone with a very poor grasp of fairly recent history.

I’m not sure if that snarky comment was directed at me speficially for posting this, or if you’re just referring to the original source.

Either way…

Ya can’t please everyone.

I was just trying to come up with a somewhat different topic that wasn’t about Rob Ford or the dreaded Drumph monster.

Oh, well.

Thanks for you input.

5 Likes

I guess you’ve learned that lesson, eh?

11 Likes

oh, wait you… we still love you even though we tease you.
not comment. hah. how else am I going to avoid doing work?

7 Likes

What can I say; when I first joined up and no one seemed like a flaming troll-beast ( like what I was used to in my two previous forums, where the fail trolls and flamers were allowed to run rampant) my limited expectations of the discourse on this site suddenly soared, becoming somewhat unrealistic.

Again, silly me.

But it’s cool; if nothing else, this post can serve as a kind of “litmus test” for me; a rudimentary guide to which members might be interesting to chat with and which ones are best avoided.

2 Likes

I don’t see where anyone is being a flaming troll beast. If you poke around the BBS a bit more, you’ll find that there are many ways in which people interact on threads here. Sometimes it’s nice and supportive, and sometimes it’s a little more confrontational.

What I do see here is that people might be a little weirded out by posts that seem to be asking for demographic information. It makes some of us wonder who might be looking do do a little sales/marketing research.

12 Likes

Some of us also may be weirded out by the seemingly insulting gifs aimed at people who don’t deserve it… also, maybe, ok could just be me.

10 Likes

Taxonomy is always controversial.

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this since you posted, and I have to say it sucks. I’m out.

[mic drop],
the OtherMichael

10 Likes

Gen X, smack in the middle of the “MTV Generation part of that”. I sort of feel like we’ve gotten lost in the shuffle in the discussion on generation cohorts and much of what we’ve been responsible for has been glossed over. But we’re sandwiched between two huge demographics that have gotten a lot of attention because of their size.

Also, have you read Strauss and Howe? You should read them, as they are responsible for much of this mode of thinking, or at least codifying it…

7 Likes

It wasn’t the rise of mass media, obviously, but there were some radical changes during out life time, like the expansion of cable, which had a big impact on how we consume TV for example. Also, VCRs and gaming consols changed how we interacted with television. I think the experiences I had with watching TV and those of my parents are pretty different (and the same with my daughter and how she experiences this).

4 Likes

No one can agree on this stuff, actually. I’ve seen many different bracketing.

4 Likes

Taking 1968 as one “watershed year” in the US - and quite a few other countries - being 8 years old in 1968 had very little in common with being 18 years old in 1968.

Lumping together people born in 1945-1964 means that chart is presuming 4 year olds and 23 year olds had basically the same experience of 1968. That’s ludicrous.

6 Likes

NO IT ISN’T!

6 Likes