German police recover valuable surrealist painting that had been tossed into the airport trash can

Its likely just a sign of pure, blind, wealthy privilege. Anyone who could blithely misplace a quarter million dollar possession they were toting around, like it was a pack of gum, has to be a pretty entitled person.

I dont understand this kind of thing… How does one so casually mishandle $300,000? How is it that rich people are this fucking dumb?

I think people are laboring under a misunderstanding of how losing stuff works. You lose things when you aren’t thinking about them; not thinking about a $300,000 painting feels exactly the same as not thinking about an umbrella.

This is why people have rituals about what pockets they put stuff in and how they pack their bags; you won’t remember something merely because it’s important.

Personally, if I were taking a valuable painting on a plane, I would expect to forget it at some point, and think about tying it to my hand baggage or something for that reason.

2 Likes

The types of sociopaths rich enough to own $300,000 paintings are probably less particular about valuing and keeping track of their material goods, maybe.

This is one of those ‘light-hearted’ stories that’s actually a withering document of how sick and broken our capitalist world is. Not quite as gross as those ‘inspirational’ gofundme medical stories, but still gross. I have pretty much zero sympathy for this absent-minded millionaire retrieving his investment.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.