Man spaces out and accidentally leaves an original Picasso on a train. Now it's missing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/27/man-accidentally-leaves-his-or.html

6 Likes

side note:
My god, that video is terrible. Panning and zooming across a still photo, then transitioning from that photo to that same photo, again? And again?!? Wat.

5 Likes

dude got paid or leaned on to do that. you can’t convince me otherwise.

3 Likes

So… is this better of worse than leaving something in your toddlers breakfast nook?

These ceramics are editioned, so there’s that.

5 Likes

It’ll turn up, someday.

3 Likes

So people in Germany just casually walk around with original Picassos in shopping bags?

13 Likes

Right now, I surmise someone is enjoying a coffee or hot chocolate in this mug.

10 Likes

And they probably have a word just for the act. Zugkunstverkehren, perhaps? Or Kunstimeinkauftaschentragen, specifically for shopping bags.

8 Likes

I did this once in Poland, except it was a poster tube above the seats. Inside was a rare colouring book. Yes colouring book. I was devastated at the time, but I assume some Polish child has finished the book by now. Also, that scene from Run Lola Run replayed in my mind repeatedly.

5 Likes

How the hell does someone forget about the original Picasso that they’re schlepping around? I wouldn’t be able to think about anything other than the fact that I’m carrying around a god damn Picasso!

7 Likes

You’d be surprised at what you can forget about once you’ve got a few years tucked under your belt.

4 Likes

Pssshhh, my kid could do that (leave a valuable on a train, that is…)

8 Likes

I wonder if it is dishwasher-proof.

6 Likes

Think about it from the fun angle- saying you accidentally left an original Picasso on a train is a hell of a way to start a story and meet interesting people.

I’ll bet he makes some interesting friends after this if the police don’t find him culpable of something here…

In September 2010 Gurlitt, then aged 77, was stopped on a train returning from Zurich to Munich and found to have €9,000 in his possession which he said came from selling some paintings he had had in his possession in 1978. […] German customs officials obtained a warrant to search his sister’s Munich apartment where he was living and discovered 1,406 works of art initially reported as worth €1 billion (this figure was subsequently revised downwards to some tens of millions of euros, still a substantial sum).

4 Likes

So people in the states just casually fly around with a missile guidance system?

“A missle guidance system for a fighter jet, with a plaque reading “Handle with extreme caution. I am worth my weight in gold.” (promptly returned to the Air Force)”

https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/?/about/you-found-what/

2 Likes

Someone grabbed the bag.
opened it.
“tha fuck?”
Tosses it.

1 Like

In America? Of course.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.