Man with a gun in his carry-on bag slips by TSA and flies from Georgia to Tokyo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/14/man-with-a-gun-in-his-carry-on.html

1 Like

in other words " we would have missed the gun with or without the shutdown."

32 Likes

Maybe they could punish them by withholding their pay?

34 Likes

He’s not going to stop Mothra that way.

6 Likes

Just like they did with the pilot flying to Narita in December, the woman who had a gun on flight Jan 4 flight, and all of the incidents in 2018 that the Transportation Ministry complained about, and all the incidents in 2017 that Japan’s transportation ministry complained about.

2 Likes
  1. It should be noted, this has happened before when the TSA was fully staffed.

2. Their role is still largely security theater. Of note, this guy wasn’t a terrorist.

3. It would be ironic if this government shut down was caused due to beating the drum of more security, and then an actual terrorist does go through the laxer security because of the shut down. Unlikely, though.

12 Likes

You fool, you have to stop the mad scientist from making Mothra.

4 Likes

Robert Oppenheimer?

2 Likes

1 Like

TSA misses about 70% of fake weapons (ie, the dummy weapons that are intentionally sent through to test the screening process)

Years back before 9/11, ONLY getting 70-80% hit rate was considered scandalous.

7 Likes

So, a man forgot he had a gun in his bag. Is this not a disturbing idea for Americans regardless of where he was going?

It is for the rest of us.

15 Likes

The TSA between a rock and a hard place. They can either:

1. admit the shutdown has made them less effective and therefore made flying less safe; or
  2. admit that that they just aren’t that effective anyway.

Choices, choices.

6 Likes

I was delivering my minor child to the gate once and since I wasn’t flying didn’t clean out my purse. Strangely they wouldn’t let me through security with the 4 pocket knifes I happened to have on my person that day. Luckily we were early so I just ran them back to the car. I can totally see forgetting.

3 Likes

I’ve done that once at the court house. I went around and hid it in the bushes next to the old syringes. It was there when I got back.

3 Likes

For as long as I can remember until about 2006, I always kept a pair of small, collapsible scissors with my keys. It was super handy. And I always flew with it without even thinking that this might be a problem with security. One day I was about to fly and realized that I probably shouldn’t be flying with sharp objects and got rid of the sciessors. After about 8 or 9 years of flying, security never found them.

2 Likes

Folks…everything is fine. He was a good guy. /s

No.

We’ve gotten used to it. According to the ATF, 18,394 guns were lost or stolen in the US in 2016; about half of those were lost, with Alabama leading the pack at 842 firearms misplaced. Granted, that’s out of 27 million sold, but maybe that’s not a number we should feel good about either.

Maybe the NRA should consider teaching gun owners to tie a string around their finger whenever they move one of their guns to a new spot - little finger for baby carriage, ring finger for seat-back pocket, index finger for the linen closet, and so on.

Full report here:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/undefined/osii508fflthefts-lossescy16pdf/download

4 Likes

“Destructive Devices”

No need to worry. Only 4 of those.

3 Likes

I’m kind of curious about the “Unknown Types” category. What constitutes an unknown type of gun and why were 90% of them “lost”?

Silencers also seem to get misplaced at a suspiciously high rate. It almost makes me think that they aren’t being put to ends that benefit the general good.

2 Likes

It must be interesting checking the lost and found.

“Hi, I lost a 9mm Glock. Has anyone turned it in?”
“You’ll have to be a little more specific sir.”

7 Likes