Washington state senator arrested in Hong Kong for carrying gun at airport

Originally published at: Washington state senator arrested in Hong Kong for carrying gun at airport | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Wilson got into a verbal altercation with reporters after his first court hearing, demanding they delete any photos showing him at the courthouse.

In the view of Republicans, free speech is only to be enjoyed by fascists, bigots, and Xtianists.

27 Likes

Expecting Chinese authorities to bow down to him because he is a Republican neofascist is the epitome of white privilege. And this got through TSA screening? Yeah, security theater is theatrical, not so much secure.

36 Likes

Originally published at: Washington state senator arrested trying to bring gun into Hong Kong, then gets into altercation with news reporters outside court | Boing Boing

8 Likes

What better way to represent red America than a bully with a gun.

Change must come for a bully with gun.

12 Likes

I was happy to read that he had to surrender his passport when posting bail and won’t be able to leave the country until the case is concluded, so at the very least he’s going to be inconvenienced and prevented from going home for a week, which is a more severe consequence than most of these knuckleheads who “accidentally” bring their guns through a security checkpoint ever receive.

30 Likes

“My, my, my! Such a lot of guns around town and so few brains.” – Marlowe

15 Likes

(And somehow the TSA overlooked it.)

How in the hell did that happen? You guys literally have one job.

14 Likes

Those clowns throw my bubble tea away but let this pass.

Seem like his god given right to carry not applying to Eastern god.

15 Likes

he did not realize he had packed his pistol in his briefcase

He’s running on autopilot while handling a gun? Unaware of what he’s putting in or taking out, not realizing he’s putting pistols in his carryon?

22 Likes

Dr Evil__'Responsible gun owners'

25 Likes

He didn’t notice the extra 2 lbs (approximately) added to the weight of his briefcase? I notice every ounce of excess weight in mine when I have to drag it through airports, plus a gun takes up a significant amount of the available space in a typical briefcase.

14 Likes

yup. that job is separating travelers from their carry-on cash.

6 Likes

Consider what would have happened if a Chinese national flew into DC carrying an unlicensed gun in their luggage. And then belligerently complained about the legal hullabaloo, claiming it was an accident.

17 Likes

We definitely should let teachers take guns to school. Responsible gun owners never make mistakes.

Was the good senator planning on being part of a well regulated militia on this junket?

9 Likes

So will the US invade China?

I don’t know if this is /s or not anymore.

9 Likes

Me neither…

Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

7 Likes

Who’s got money on his first statements upon returning to America will be about “This is the government-mommy future that libruls WANT!!! They hate your guns just like the blank blank blank Chinese! My rights were trampled!”

Foaming at the corners of the mouth may or may not occur… depends on which right-wing talk show they appear disheveled on.

5 Likes

Thanks for the pointer. That law is literally manifesto of a bully/mob boss, “do what I want or else.” It was introduced by Republican Florida man and signed by Bush. No wonder it’s so banana. It basically declares US personnels and officials above the law in other nations even when they do what considered crime in home country. Party of “law and order” my ass.

9 Likes

Not defending the guy, but broadly speaking sometimes these mistakes do happen. I remember Adam Savage telling a story of him making his way from Cali to another state, and then realizing he put a large kitchen knife in his coat pocket because he had been sharpening it at his shop and while in transit home he forgot about it, and TSA missed it when it went through screening.

On my part it was years of me flying with my art supplies before i realized that the entire time i had been flying everywhere with my Xacto knife and a ton of spare blades :sweat_smile:

6 Likes