Germans efficiently repair manhole

What was the purpose of the activity between 8:37 and 8:48?

Be cautious if googling at work for similar videos, as “extreme fast manhole action” may yield varied results.

5 Likes

Those things are great.

And tasty

6 Likes

Also: Do NOT Google “Mr. Manhole”.

2 Likes

Aw, come on. The same thing happens in New York every day.

It just takes 6 months and there needs to 20-25 “supervisors”.

1 Like

How youtubes autosubtitler recognizes the sound of power tools

6 Likes

if that guy saw the streets here in nyc he would have a coronary on the spot.

1 Like

In Britain it would go like this:

Local council renovates the pavement (sidewalk).

Water company digs up pavement for planned replacement of water pipes, using emergency powers because it can’t be bothered to apply to the council for permission.

Water company’s contractors carelessly rebuild the pavement, leaving a bump and/or a dip that turns into a massive puddle whenever it rains.

Gas company digs up the pavement to replace gas pipes.

8 Likes

That’s pretty much the same thing in our fair city.

• Road is in need of repair.
  • Seven years later, the road still isn’t repaired and now there are missing pieces of asphalt.
  • Three years later and the road is resembling a gravel road.
  • City has a one mile stretch of loose road asphalt removed, scraped and leveled, and then the road is carefully redone.
  • The road feels smooth and wonderful for three weeks.
  • Then the city’s own water utility tears up sections of the new road to replace some aging infrastructure, and then poorly patches the various trenches.
7 Likes

The voiceover says that he’s demonstrating that this type of manhole comes with a slot for a mobile entry aid.

3 Likes

That’s probably not what it sounds like or what I think it is. :wink:

(But I have no idea what it could be, in the context of a manhole cover).

2 Likes

You can see it in the video. It’s basically half a ladder he slots in, so he can grab onto something while finding the rungs in the manhole with his feet

5 Likes

Ah, NOW I get it. Thanks!

4 Likes

In the city where my office is located, they put in these lovely brick crosswalks. They replaced them all after a year due to all the wrecks. Drivers tended to “stop” in the crosswalk when it rained and would slide into the intersection. Another year of construction and we faux brick crosswalks! :money_mouth_face:

office space GIF

3 Likes

Every cover within a mile of my house needs leveling/adjustment. Sigh.

1 Like

Some of the crosswalks around here seem to be made of some sort of ceramic material rather than mere plaint. It bugs the hell out of me because rain makes them slippery.

Every one is willing to spend on something and pay the taxs for it, its just not the same something, in the uk its the NHS but its def not the roads.

thou that is a hang over from the days when every car had to pay “road tax” to be on the road, and now they have changed the name / lumped the road tax into all tax money and its not special any more, its also digital here in the uk, instead of having a sticker in your window to prove you have paid, no more tax disc’s.

So the link is extra broken, my car gets free road tax, so i just log into a site “buy” 12 months of road tax for £0 and press pay, its all rather pointless.

I would argue that our car obsession is exactly why our roads are so bad. It is politically popular to create new roads with a huge portion of the road spending budget. This leaves massively expanding costs. On the flip side the centrality of the car makes any attempt to have reasonable gas taxes into political suicide. So we have a consistently expanding road network with a shrinking pot of money to repair it.

2 Likes

Speaking as a civil engineer, ACO makes some really neat stuff.
Does what it says on the tin, lasts for ages.
Wide range of products to cover all your needs, drainage wise.

8 Likes

i see what you did there doctor who GIF

6 Likes