Watch this machine bore out and remove an entire manhole

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/28/watch-this-machine-bore-out-an.html

5 Likes

That’s a pretty bitchin’ hole saw.

9 Likes

This is not the America I know, fixing bumps in the road and even putting protective fences around jobs that might cause a mess.

16 Likes

These are such tools as reams are made of.

13 Likes

That’s a manhole cover. A manhole is a good deal bigger.

8 Likes

The entire thing is completely mislabeled. This video was not what I was expecting.

8 Likes

I mean, it is a method for fixing manholes. Another would be using a milling machine, adding a ring, and replacing with asphalt. Really not the biggest fan of this method, since concrete/asphalt interfaces can be a problem when impacted frequently. But on a fancy cul-de-sac where the residents all come out to see the neat machine? Sure.

3 Likes

Well now that the Supreme Court has busted public unions maybe the street workers will start doing a quality job. /S

2 Likes

Great! Now I want a Bobcat for all the possible attachments.

3 Likes

If BoingBoing has taught me anything, it’s that when that happens, we can sill draw a dick on it and it will be repaired promptly

4 Likes

How about - just adding a spacer to sit between the cover and the lining of the hole? Like, say, the R-1979 Series Manhole Adjusting Ring?

4 Likes

According to the little bit of cake beside our names today; this is the anniversary of our joining Boing Boing. Happy anniversary, fellow Gemini BBer.

1 Like

A new way to do donuts in the middle of the street!

2 Likes

"Watch this machine bore out and remove an entire manhole"

Cripes, another colonoscopy thread??

7 Likes

It looks like a nifty piece of equipment. On the other hand, it must be pleasant to live in a neighborhood where the chief concern is how flush the manhole covers are. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Call Mr Manhole that’s the name, that name again is Mr Manhole.

5 Likes

The post reads “This is how they fix them.” It would more accurately read “This is one way they might fix them if they gave a crap.” For certain, they don’t give a crap around here and any given manhole ring and cover might be an inch high or low for years on end.

1 Like

Ryobi will have the battery operated version very soon.

4 Likes

There are… sites for that kind of stuff.

4 Likes

Get an extra for the missus

1 Like