A couple in a car get quite a scare when a manhole explodes in the lane next to them

Originally published at: A couple in a car get quite a scare when a manhole explodes in the lane next to them | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Usually a climactic showdown between rival ninja clans.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a few combatants down there feeling… shell shocked.

22 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ve0lESKdIY

7 Likes

Yeah, sorry… I’d leave it 5 minutes before you use the restroom.

7 Likes

After a scare like that, I’d have to take my car to the body shop to remove the head-shaped dent in the roof.

10 Likes

“Holy shit!”

Was that what ended up splattered on the car?

13 Likes

Thank you for a robust laugh-out-loud; or, in truth, more of a wheezing-cough out loud.

5 Likes

Also: don’t piss off the Ents!

9 Likes

Jeeeeez! What happened behind?

7 Likes

Pretty sure more than adrenaline was flowing.

8 Likes

Luckily, everyone was driving slowly and with caution due to the icy weather and no other vehicles were damaged. Also file under :four_leaf_clover:, there was a crew of Saruman’s orcs loggers a few cars back who were able to cut up and move the fallen tree off the highway.

9 Likes

Shit Happens!

4 Likes

And perhaps fecal stains/remains on the seat. Kudos to both occupants for remaining articulate in expressing their reaction to the incident. Some people would find themselves at a loss for words.
Thanks to fate a motorcycle was passing over that.

2 Likes

Clark Griswold: “Sewer gas!.. NO DON’T LIGHT THAT!”

4 Likes

That must be terrifying for them and all, but where are all the arguments that we shouldn’t call this a male hole instead?

2 Likes

Are you sure it wasn’t the Winter Warlock?

2 Likes

Adjacent to the maintenance hole are two chimney-like protrusions in the landscaped area between the edge of the road and the sidewalk. They (literally) blow their tops a split second before the maintenance hole cover jumps, launching two flying saucers into orbit. The pressure wave must have started somewhere to the right.

In Google Street View, one of the “chimneys” is labeled with “HIGH VOLTAGE / Southern California Edison”. Google Maps

Fortunately(?) the adjacent building is an urgent care center.

5 Likes

A while ago I remember reading about some California cities suffering from underground copper thefts. Thieves would enter the tunnels, bravely chop out a chunk of live copper cable, then sell it for scrap. In some cases they’d damage a wire, but not completely sever it. The surviving wires were overloaded and would heat up, causing fires and even more damage.

We have no way of knowing if theft or vandalism was the case here or not, of course. Sometimes stuff just fails.

3 Likes

A few years ago, an electrical fire caused manhole covers to be shot up into the air up off a street in Detroit’s Greektown, and one of 'em landed on the roof of the 10-storey hotel where our next door neighbor works.

amazed3 shocktophat-wow

2 Likes

Kristen Bell Omg GIF by The Good Place

5 Likes