The city of Santa Barbara warned residents to watch out for flying manhole covers

Originally published at: The city of Santa Barbara warned residents to watch out for flying manhole covers | Boing Boing

1 Like

A good warning. In Houston, the manhole covers fly on the regular, or did when I lived there, when it’s flooding or a particularly voluminous downpour comes along.

The covers warn you tho with powerful spouts of stanky water through the ventilation holes some have or the lifting holes most have.

They’ll definitely fuck you up if unluckily struck, and missing manhole covers make cycling all the more exciting.

3 Likes

Bah. In NYC the manhole covers explode from the ground.

1 Like

Even when they’re not missing. I stepped off a bus one evening in Austin, right onto a manhole cover that swiveled enough for me to fall halfway in and cause serious bruising to my shins.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Scared Trevor Jackson GIF by grown-ish

1 Like

If I saw a man hole cover fly up in the air and it WASN’T followed by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I’d be so disappointed.

Pop Off Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles GIF by Xbox

3 Likes

I drove over one that lifted as I did and destroyed the wheel and tire of my car. In Morgantown!

2 Likes

Well, these things happen__FGD135

1 Like

Common occurrence in the Gulf States. I saw several in a short stint in Huntsville, AL.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.